Need: attractive junction box / mount

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Apr 3, 2008.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I need an attractive junction box / mount to put a path light on top of a 3 foot high column. He was going to put a glare bomb there put he likes the idea of a path light. The concret columns have conduit through out them. I just need a compartment for wire connections and to mount the fixture. There are 5 columns. The middle fixture will be the hub of the 4 other fixtures. I am not excited about your typical electrical junction boxes. They look tacky with all the holes in them. Any suggestions on how I can mount a path light on top of a concrete column and hide wire connections?
    ~Ned

2. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

For goodness sake son how are you going to get 5 cables through one conduit with bends unless it's a minimum of 1 1/2". You may have to use THHN youngen'. That pathlights gonna look great mounted above the horizon where on lookers can stare right into the lamp or under the hat-glare?

3. NightLightingFX

1) The middle fixture will be the hub for 2 fixtures to the right and 2 fixtures to the left.
    2) The middle fixture column has 3 conduits in it. One conduit to the transformer. One conduit to the right which leads to the next column on the right, & One conduit to the left that leads to the next column on left
    3) The two columns on each side of the middle column both have 2 conduits in them - one conduit to the middle and the other conduit which leads to the end column.
    4) Both the end columns have just one conduit in them.
    I would prefer to run a 12ga lead to the end columns and a 16ga lead to the columns next to the middle column, but that probably won't work. It is a small conduit. I will probably have to daisy chain from the center fixture. Regardless of what I do, I need an attractive junction box for connections and to mound the path fixture.
    ~Ned

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Ned the only thing that comes mind right now is a RED DOT outdoor junction box from Home Depot. They come in a brown colour.

Will this J-box be visible?

Is there the ability to make in line connections using the Nightscaping ACE connector and then push the wires down into the conduits? If so you might get away with using only a mounting canopy that is lagged down into the top of the columns.

or, can you core the top of the posts out to accomodate a hidden j-box?

Regards.

5. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

My first choice would be to core drill the tops and set the box out of view like James said.

6. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

Ned,

Take a look at the FX VersaBox. I don't know if it will give you the room for a middle hub, but it is small, and can be powder coated any number of colors, or you can order it brass. The RS version has a 1/2" thread in the middle.
    http://www.fxl.com/products/category.htm?category=Mounts

7. NightLightingFX

I really want to avoid core drilling. "Sprinkler Guy," thanks for the tip on the FX tree mount. I think that will work. I will probably have to daisy chain from each side of the hub/middle fixture. The columns/fixtures are 20 ft apart (40 ft from hub fixture to the two end fixtures) if I use 12ga there shouldn't be too significant voltage drop (noticable difference in brightness) should there? Thanks for the input guys
    ~Ned

8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Ned, you know the formula and know that the eye can see a difference of .5 volts so what do you think? What wattage lamps are you using? Are you going to loose a half volt between fixtures?

9. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Ned, this would be called a "T" method. If you will provide the distance to the transformer from the "hub" as you call it, I will give you the exact voltage drop calculations to your fixtures at the end of the runs.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with the geekman. I would try to set the boxes in the pillars out of view. James also had a good idea with the aces. I have found ace connectors to be very valuble in trees and places a low profile connection is needed. I stuffed an ace back into a conduit on a gazebo last week. I had to offset the connections by making one wire shorter than the other to fit them but you cant see a splice and there is no visable wire.

If your set on the junctions on top of the pillars and you will have too much drop you could always use an RSL regulator. As much as I hate em and think they are amature hour it might just serve your needs in this situation.