Need Backpack Sprayer Advice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Homecutter, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Homecutter

Homecutter LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Greetings experts

I'm just a homeowner, not a pro, and I need some advice. I read all the post's concerning backpack sprayers and Nutsedge, but I still have some questions. My St. Augustine has been infested with Nutsedge. Over the past 3 years it has gotten worse and worse. This year I plan to get it under control and get my lawn back.

I have a little less than 1 acre of Floritam and plan to spray Sedgehammer or Manage soon. I'm concerned about the physical toll the spraying might take on me (health issue). My questions are:

1. With a hand pump style backback sprayer how long will it take to treat say .8 acre?

2. How much pumping will be required? Would an average middle-aged male be worn out by this?

3. Should I spend more and get an electric like a Sureflow?

4. With a 5 gallon pack, how many times will I need to refill to treat the .8 acre?

Thanks Much to all who respond!:usflag:

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Depends on how much infestation you have.
    2.Are you serious?
    3.No, Pump style is fine.
    4.refer to # 1

PS. 1 gal. treats about 1,ooo sq. ft

3. Mattcurry

Mattcurry LawnSite Member

Ummmm yes by the time you finish spraying the yard your neck and whatever hand you are using to pump your forearm will probably be very sore.

You shouldnt be to wore out.

The product your talking about buying is not a cheap product and to spray your whole yard with either manage or sedge hammer is probably gonna cost you about 120$. I would recommend spraying only the areas that are infested and actually have the weed.

I do commercial chemical services in orlando, and couple residential i am based out of tampa. Give me a holler if you need a hand with the spraying let me know.

But just an FYI i would not backpack .8 acres. thats alot of backpacking...and another thing sureflo backpacks that pump themselves do not last very long, they usually stop working where it plugs in on the bottom if the slightest bit of water touches it and its pretty much unavoidable.

4. Homecutter

from Orlando

1. Close to 90% of the lawn is infested, its pretty bad. Mixture w/ the floritam is fairly even. some areas might be 50/50. I raised my mower deck to max height, hoping to "choke" it out last year but it only got worse.

2. :laugh: Very serious, also ignorant. Thats why I asked you guys. I've never used a backpack sprayer nor talked to anyone who has. What seems easy for some, others might find eh.. physically challenging.

3. Cool. I'll go with a pump unit.

Robert

5. Homecutter

from Orlando

Thanks for the advice Matt.

Yea, I see Manage and Sedgehammer is pricey- kinda sucks. I'm going to try it myself. If I get frustrated or give up, I will contact you for a quote. I'm in east Orlando. I will also take your advice on spraying infested area's only (assuming there are any non-infested left) and avoiding the electric units.

Can I post pictures in this section?

Thanks
    Robert

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am also going to say if you have a serious sage problem you are likely over watering or have a drainage issue.

Cut back on your water about 20%.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Around here nutsedge grows fine on dry soil or wet.
    But this is a big job--call a professional--you will get more bang for your buck--a big power sprayer with hose in the hands of an experienced professional will do a better job with fewer skips and misses, less need for retreatments. You are more likely to get the correct amount on each square foot. He will treat at the correct optimum time, and stage of growth, In suitable weather and temp. There is a good chance a professional will add wetting agent for better coverage. He might be willing to add weed control, or insecticide or fertilizer at the same time. ( St Augustine suitable products only --I am in Michigan--I don't know about this.) A licensed professional will have rubber gloves and rubber boots, eye protection. He will not charge you for leftover product. He will have measuring containers and suitable means and skills to mix up the correct amount. And you will not have left-over liquid or dry product to dispose of. And if your parakeet dies you wife will have someone to yell at, besides you.
    Plan to pay about $25 for him to arrive, cost of the chemical, plus about $2 per minute--I would say about a 30 minute job. Second treatment might be needed. Do not mow for 48 hours before treatment and 48 hours after treatment.
    What about it Casselbury? Are you close to him? Matt? Is this price resonable, Ric?

8. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a large amount of space to be doing with a backpack sprayer. not to mention that if you infestation is really bad you WILL be re-treating at least once more.. third time will be spot. but it can be done.

I don't have any trouble with my shur-flo electric sprayers.. they're tanks(literally?). and I even leave them out in the weather unless it's gonna freaze.

I think with property that large, you should consider buying something electric, gas, or just hiring someone. because if you're getting serious about your lawn, you're going to be treating for a lot more than sedge very shortly. might as well make it easy on yourself.

as far as the health side of it.. although I've never used a pump sprayer, that may be tiring.. but remember that you'll be swinging a akward, water-filled backpack up off the ground, and onto your back at least 3 times with a lawn that size. Filled, the backpack will weigh about 40-50+ lbs. Getting that on your back, and then carrying it there can sometimes be one of the more straining parts of the job.

So.. with your health as a major consideration, I recommend that you hire someone licensed like matt to come out and take care of it.. you'll spare your back, the cost of decent equipment, and you won't have to worry about a botched job. (experience counts in this profession) I bet he even offers a guarantee. Just my 2 cents..

9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

You will need a blue dye , to mark where you have been

10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be better off hiring a pro. Like Riggle said. They'll do it right and if they don't they will hit again. Also can a homeowner even by Sedgehammer?