Need big help with starting my business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by toac, Jul 5, 2005.

1. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all. I love the boards here, they are great.

I want to start a lawn maintenace and landscaping business, but I don't know where to start. I have no startup business. I have just a regular 22" snapper lawn mower, a trimmer and a blower.

I've asked neighbors for some business with no luck. How do I get my first customers?

I would love any help and advice.

Thanks so much.

2. SmittyJD

SmittyJD LawnSite Member

I'm looking to start a mowing business as well

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This is going to sound like something I never wanted people to say to me when I registered at Lawnsite, but..............

Spend some time reading through the vast expanse of knowledge in the Lawnsite archive...........
    Use the "search" button and read, read, read..............
    It will give you a wealth of basic knowledge and you will then be able to ask better questions...............
    Starting at this time of year would be a challenge at best, so plan for next season and educate yourself now.

4. toac

dvmcmrhp52.....thanks for the advice.

i do realize that starting a L & L business this time of year is probably not the best venture. i was just wondering the best way to get my name out there. I do have one big plus on my side. I currently work for the yellow pages and can get a free small advertisement. I know that will help. I was just wondering what everyone else's success stories have been with starting off and what advertising worked best for them.

I know this is probably a repeat of what all you veterans have heard. I'm sorry. I'm really just looking to better myself and and my family. I hate having to work for someone else.....lol.

So with that stated, does anyone have some success stories or some advice for a newbie?

Thanks again.

5. BigChaz

BigChaz LawnSite Member

What I would recommend, and its not always a sure fire way, is to go door to door in your neighborhood and surrounding areas. I dont think flyers will work as well seeing as your name isnt out there.

You need to take lots of time and just introduce yourself to those around you. Explain that you are starting up and are looking for some work. Even if they dont have something for you to do at the moment make sure they get a card and that they know they can call you anytime

6. toac

BigChaz.....that seems to be good advice, I'm gonna have to try that this weekend (even thought this isn't the best time of year.....i know), does anybody have other advice to give?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try an ad in one of your local newspapers for a week.

8. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I'm also wondering the same. I plan to start next season with flyers. Target a'couple hundred houses and see how that works. Then, hopefully I'll have a few accounts to get some extra money, then I'm going to try to distribute a lot of ads!

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first started tried the local paper. Results where sporadic and were spread all over the place. Did not really get the bang for the buck. The door hangers allowed me to target areas that I wanted to work. Once you get into a neighborhood, if you do a good job, there will be a snowball effect. Have one that started out with 1 account three years ago and now is 13 stops in a row. Let your clients know that you still have room on your schedule. They are your best form of advertising. Talk with other LCOs. This year I have sent about twenty to one new company and four to a guy just starting out. Once it starts rolling make sure that you have the means to purchase the equipment to properly service them.

10. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

I started out with flyers. I waited unitl evening when most people were home and started walking and talking if not home i just left a flyer. it got me going pretty quick. when you start getting customers and they start complementing your work be open with them and let them know you are looking for more customers...