Need Crabgrass Advice Immediately

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Jun 9, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I need some advice!!

I treated 15-20 of my customers lawn with Drive crabgrass control that Lesco recommended. It really hasn't seem to have much of an effect, and it is terribly expesive. Perhaps I applied it wrong? water doesn't exactly stick to crabgrass sor getting it to "take" might have been the biggest probs. I am using a lesco space saver with a chemlawn gun on it.

I now have 15 customers who are on a 2-app treatment and it seems that the first app. was completely wasted!!!! (alot of $$$ down the tubes)

Can someone please recommend what they have used and have had results with! Also please add in your application method or technique so that I can make the second application work!

THANK YOU!!!
  2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Did you add a sticker to your tank?
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is it crabgrass? Some grassy weeds are commonly mistaken for crabgrass. Drive works very well, when used properly. You have to make sure you mix it up well. Fill the tank 1/2 full, add the drive, agitate the hell out of it while adding the rest of the water, then add a shot of sticker, and keep agitating it periodically thoughout the day.
  4. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I ran out of sticker on my second tank load. I just purchased a whoe bunch, so now I'm set.

I did make sure that it was agitated very very well!

SO is what your saying is that drive is a good product, dump tons of sticker in and it should work on the second time around?

Replies welcome!
  5. Last year, I had hit and miss control of crabgrass when I used Drive.

Acclaim works well also.

As long as air temps are cool, you could give MSMA a shot.
  6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

methalated seed oil is the preferred surfactant for Drive apps, as it shows on the label. The problem w/ that spacesaver(200 gal I'm guessing) is bypass agitation on a full tank may not be enough to keep this mix in suspension. Did you check the bottom of your tank for sludge? Did you mix w/ a fertilizer? if you can, mix smaller amounts, crank up the pressure and throw your gun into the tank to keep it stirred, use the surfactant, it will knock targets down hand over fist.
  7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

.....ah never mind, i could give you a product that works but these guys will think im their salesman.
  8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Better make sure what you're spraying is crabgrass and not some other weedgrass. Wisconsin? Take a sample to your heroes at Lesco for proper ID.....
  9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

We have a winner! MSO is the key when using this chemistry.