need creative help on a ramp setup

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by schunklawn, Nov 29, 2007.

1. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

hey guys, I am trying to make a ramp from my trailer to the bed of my truck. I am going to put my 48" scag in the back of the bed and then put my riding mower and cyclone rake setup on the trailer. I have nice thick wood and some ramp brackets, but i cannot think of a very efficient way of doing this the right way. any creative thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated. I hope to have a better leaf setup once i can get my scag in there with some gator blades. thanks, Donnie:usflag:

Picture 292.jpg

Picture 294.jpg

2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like one of Mikey's drawings from OCC. Just kidding. Why don't you make a ramp that is attached to the trailer's floor with a hinge. It would be in the up position while traveling and lower it down to the truck's tailgate to load your mower. It looks like it will need a slight angle in the ramp to line up with the truck.

3. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

how about getting those ramps made for atv's. i'm sure it would work to have them rest on the bed of ur trailer and then attach to your tailgate. go to a atv dealer and check them out and see how they would work

4. schunklawn

lol...i'm by no means an artist...i'll try to get some real pics of my situation tomorrow...i really appreciate the ideas so far...has anyone ever had a setup like this...??...i think it will be big improvement for my leaf clean ups. I am going to mulch most of the leaves down and then run over the mulched leaves with the cyclone rake and vac the thick spots and clean it up really nice...

5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Keep in mind that you'll have a hard time getting a mower to break over much more than a 15 degree angle without the deck dragging.

6. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Look at our ramps at www.handyramp.com

The ramps for pickup's will fold down in two pieces and has an adjustable center leg that can go down on your hitch and once you get your angle correct you can weld or bolt on a stop where that leg can rest on.

7. SKAPES

SKAPES LawnSite Member

Cut an 8'-10'

2x6 in half and fasten oversize hinge in the middle be careful to use correct bolts.

8. New Heights

New Heights LawnSite Member

I have been looking at this for a wile and finaly came up with an idea. Cut the front rail on the trailer off and install a fold down ramp in its place. Make it long enough to reach your tailgate, and install some suports to hod it up wile not in use. I would somethng similar to the back fold up gate ot the trailer, but on a smaller scale. Hope this helps.

9. schunklawn

hey guys....i really appreciate all the ideas and the fact that you are giving this some thought...i got to thinkin' and i came up with a pretty good solution to the problem i was having...i will put pics up tomorrow morning and show you what i came up with...i have been using it a lot lately with my leaf setup and its working great...thanks again
    No Bunk Lawn Care

10. zima

zima LawnSite Member

Can you post some pictures please ,thinking of doing the same thing. thank you