Need critique on this flyer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Soupy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I whipped together a quick flyer in MS word to hand out with my full color ad. It will be printed in gray-scale on yellow paper. The main goal is to let people know up front what kind of price they can expect (minimum price). The catch is I am hoping the 12 month price may catch their attention since it appears to be lower then the normal 8 month price they are accustomed too. It may appeal to the customers paying $25 per cut which will get us an invitation to sell our package in person. In other words I want the phone to ring based on the $90 catch then explain in details the actual cost and benefits of choosing my company.

Since I will be asked about the price. This is for targeted areas that usually fall into our minimum cut price of $30. From april to November there are 34 weeks and we throw in the cost of 2 additional cuts to cover the extra expense of mulching leaves in November. So in reality they pay an extra $15 per visit in November to blow out leaves before mulching them. Since we do not trim at this time this method of charging works out for us.

Here is the attachment along with the door hanger it will go with. What I do is fold the flyer around the door hanger and place them in the door as opposed to hanging them. Sometimes I use door bags too. Let me know what I should change or add. I know I am not the best at creating flyers and is why I normally hire a designer but I thought I would give it a try.

EDIT: the flyer I want help on is the bottom attachment (spring special). Thanks....

Yellow_web_Mod.jpg

Attached Files:

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good Soup. One thing you might want to think about. We used to call our levels of service Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc too but changed it to Basic, Standard, Premium, Premier as I felt it sounded more in "line" with the services we provide as LCO's.

Also who did the doorhangers?

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it looks good. I would add another service or two to your "gold package" to really make it look like a great deal. Right now the only difference is an aeration, which could only add up to a couple of extra dollars/month based on your 12 month plan. Throw in a de-thatching and a lime application. My .02

Chris

4. Soupy

I went with the package names in dedication to this years Olympics. I almost called the flyer Olympic Special, but I wanted then to know right away it was a lawn care flyer. I think I will add one hedge trimming to the gold package.

The door hanger was designed at designoutpost.com about couple of winters back. I had them printed at postcardwharehouse.com. I only handed out 1,000 last year because I got busy, but this year I am hiring temp labor to hand them out for a little under $12/hr which covers insurance and taxes.

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it looks good, run with it.

On a side note Soup, do you find having the no contract necessary helps you to attract residential customers? I only have a handful of residential on agreements, most are turned off by the contract word around here, I picked more than a few customers up because of this. Just wondered about having that on your flier and your experience.

6. Soupy

I use signed agreements that state our terms. I am a firm believer that you shouldn't make someone use your service if they don't want to. My agreements are recurring from year to year and if they want to cancel at any time they can, but they have to notify me. I have had no problems keeping customers, but I can't say that putting "no contract" on my flyer has helped gained customers. I just know that I have had people say they didn't want to sign my agreement thinking it was a contract. Once I explain it's just shows that we have an agreement to provide service and that they can cancel at any time then they say "oh, no problem".

I would never suggest anyone work without a signed agreement though.

7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Fertilizer is spelled wrong on the services offered portion of your doorhanger. Other than that, I like it.

8. Soupy

Yea, I think the picture I posted was before final revisions.

I only posted the door hanger to show what would be delivered with the flyer. I figured it would give an idea of what the customer would be seeing along with the simple black/white flyer.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Personally I think I'd make two differnt styles one with the srvice levels descending in amount of work performed Premium down to basic and try one like you have it now. I think I'd move price down lower so they have to read the whole thing first to get to it. I agree Plat/gold/silver should be changed. At least to me it gives a positive felling in the form of value but it also implies more expensive in my mind at least. Just my .02 other than that it looks great.

10. Soupy

So basically your suggesting swapping Bronze and Gold in order. Changing the names to platinum, gold and silver. I was going for the Olympic vibe since these will be handed out right around the start of the winter Olympics.

The price is at the top in bold to grab their attention. Personally I don't care if they read anything else as long as they call. Also the bronze level was put first so I didn't give the misconception that the price stated included the bigger package. But I will try the swap and see how it looks.