1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Customers!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turtle Creek Lawn Care, May 1, 2007.

1. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hi, my name is Ryan and I'm 14 years old. I have been mowing lawns now for 2 years, with only a couple of customers from my neighborhood. This year I want to expand and possibly get around 10 people. I was wondering what the best type of advertising is and what I need to do to get 10 people. If anyone could help me out with any advise or comments that would be great!
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

3. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

It is illegal to employ a 14 yr old to operate a mower. It is not illegal for a 14 yr to operate their own mower in their own lawn mowing business. In fact, if he wants to he can incorporate, and be the president of his business and operate his lawn mower. He just can't hire as an employee his friend who is 14 yrs old to help him.

To answer your question. Going door to door with flyers would help. Dress nice, and present yourself in a professional manner. If you can show that you have insurance, that is even better. People don't want to get sued when you cut your foot off in their yard. Good luck.
  4. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Put a sign in your front yard if your parents will let you. That worked for me, and nine years later that sign is still out their gaining me customers :) Otherwise door to door with flyers will help. Guess it depends on your neighborhood. I only ever had one person ask me for insurance and turn me down when i told him i didn't have it. Make sure you do a good job and do it safely (the older guys can get away with some crasy stunts on hills and such, but seeing a kid do it will make people nervous) and you should be able to get 10 without much trouble.
  5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rather see a 14 yr old out cutting grass then sitting on his a$$ playing xbox all day contributing to childhood obesity. Man there are alot of fat a$$ kids these days.

Just go down your street and talk to neighbors, I am sure there are plenty that would love to have you.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Go tell Bill Gates this..........LOL

Run your self an ad in the local paper.... you will be turning down work in about 3 weeks
  7. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

hey thanks to everyone for the help I'll be sure to use the info.
    have a great day!