1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need damage waiver document for aerating yards.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS1, Jan 25, 2005.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Decided to offer aeration this year. Does anyone have a damage waiver/contract that you would be willing to post.

I assume it would over sprinkler system, underground electric dog fence, cable wires,etc.

Any type of yard I need to run from that will cause damage problems such as underground dog fence.

I will rent an aerator this year and it appears the only thing available around here is BlueBird. Any hints best way to operate them such as need two passes per yard or go sideways on the hill.

Any other hints to prepare customer for aeration such as giving them flags to mark sprinkler heads, etc.

Any comments would be helpful.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What we found is the customer expects you to do the job and not damage anything. The only thing we was concerned about was irrigation. Most of the people don't hardly know how to run the system so they wasn't going to flag anything. We was going to flag stuff but that takes too long and then stuff is wet. We did a limited number last year without marking and had minimal sprinkler damage. I also would be interested in input from guys that do a lot of aeration.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've asked before as well, didn't get a response. I'm thinking I'm going to make my own up. I've had 2 jobs where I clipped an irrigation hose that's supposed to be 6 inches deep but that was barely covered with dirt. If I'm going to be doing irrigated lawns, I want to make it clear that anything that isn't as deep as it should be isn't my responsibility. Although, I don't want to turn people off to the service because of that.
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't sign away your liabilities. As a contractor you are liable for damage to a customer's property.

If you do enough damage your insurance company could help.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a copy of mine, although it is short it informs the homeowner that you are not responsible for damage to underground services. In addition to this I also provide them with the small plastic flags that the utility companies use for marking areas they want me to stay away from. In addition to that when I schedule the job I also advise them to call a service in Illinois called JULIE that marks gas water electric and cable TV locations with those flags. It is a 800 number and one call by them covers it all. As long as you have that damage waver signed you should be ok. Just dont run your machine into the side of their house or somthing after all that hard work. Never happened to me though. Here is mine, two wavers per page. I will not do a job without one signed
  6. DLS1

You do aerations in Florida? :D

How am I responsible for shoddy work where lines are not buried deep enough according to city/county/state code?
  7. DLS1

Thanks. It is simple and to the point.
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

When the service requested involves poking holes into the ground 2 to 3 inches deep, where you can't see what is under the ground, and have to rely on the assumption that the contractor that installed the sprinklers or cable etc has buried the lines according to code, the liability isn't mine. I can't see what's under the ground, only assume that the lines have been laid correctly. I have the homeowner mark sprinkler heads, but sprinkler lines and other utilities I can't see or detect. My aerator only goes 3 inches deep at best, code says all lines are to be buried 6 inches. If I hit a line that isn't up to code, it's not on me, imo. I hit a line last spring that only had sod covering it, right at the grass level. That sucker is supposed to be buried, not laying right under the grass.
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I also agree you can't be responsible if something is not up to code when you aerate.I will leave lawn flags with the customer and have them mark anything they maybe concerned about before we start the job.
  10. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

When an irrigation system is installed correctly the only part suspect to damage is the heads and valve box covers. Mark the heads and boxes and avoid them or do as I do and stay away from where they should be ( edges of lawn ) and aerate the rest of the lawn. If you should hit a head offer to replace for a nominal charge. I aerate 50 yards a year and I might hit 2 heads a season.