Need Deck lift assist for JD Z-Trak HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdlen, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jdlen

jdlen LawnSite Member

Does, or Has anyone seen a mechanical/electrical deck lift assist for the JD Z-trak?
    Bottom line, the older people, ladies, partially dissabled and physically challenged people have a hard time with the foot pedal deck lift especially on the 72"s' or 60"'s w/collection system blowers on them.

Thanks for any help!

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I know they make a lift assist for the 997 but thats about it. Did you try adjusting the springs to make it a little easier?

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, why are Older People, Ladies and Partially dissabled people/physically challenged people on a Z-turn anyway. I have nothing against people that fall into these catagories, infact I pray for them everyday for various issues that they deal with in their lives. But my point is that these machines can be dangerous if not handled properly. No, it is not rocket science, but you need to be able to physically and mentally handle these machines 100% all of the time, or you should not be on one. I am not trying to rant or start something.

I am just curious as to why ou are inquiring about deck assist for these folks? I guess it is my curiosity more than anything....

4. jdlen

jdlen LawnSite Member

Reason I need a solution to this problem is, it is a problem. Yes, anyone with the money can buy whatever they want, aint it great to be in a free country!, not up to us to judge.
    I see you have a miniZ TLC, if you were lifting a 72" with collection blower on a 797 all day you would understand where this is coming from now matter how old, able or strong you are.
    I've tightened the lift assist springs to the point of coil bind and not enough help. If we went to heavier springs I'm afraid the preload would be too much and the deck might stasrt to rise on it's own so the only real solution to this is a actuating cylinder that actually pushes on the deck lift pedal somehow. It's really a pretty simple fix and I may even do it on my own but I was hoping to find someone else had already solved it.
    Thanks again!

5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 727A Mini Z as well. I thought you were actually having some less physically fit personnel operating this equipment. I know that my wife has a hard time on mine. She has to move the seat back to be able to have the room to move the seats back due to her Boosm. However, with the seat back, she is to short to reach the deck lift pedal.