1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need dirt for grading and landscaping

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by trekmann, Nov 11, 2007.

1. trekmann

trekmann LawnSite Member

I'm new to site, found it by doing a Google search. I'm in need of some dirt to raise the the grade in some areas around my house which is currently being built in Huntingtown, MD. Any ideas or suggestion on how to got about getting some dirt?

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Open up the phonebook and call every construction and excavating company you can find. Someone has got to have something for you to use and probably charge you a small amount for fill. Who knows what kind of deal you can work out.
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Here, there are so many companies giving away fill dirt, and just charging for delivery unless you have your own scoop and dump. Good luck!
  4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

your best bet is to drive around to jobsites near your house and see if they have fill that they need to get rid of...if they are desperate to get rid of it, and you don't live too far away then they might do it for free...otherwise what usually happens is they charge the one owner to load the dirt and haul it away then they charge you to truck it...we make a good bit of money doing this..basically double charging..haha
  5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember when you get close to your final grade for the fill to be good stuff...and shoot for 6" of topsoil.
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

See if you have an inert landfill or a regular landfill...these places almost always have dirt...some even have different grades like sifted, unsifted with organics like sticks and bark and just regular soil. Around here a truckload will run you about $110 delivered for good top soil.
  7. trekmann

trekmann LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information guys....I'll be sure to give all of it a try.