Need Dump Advice.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by prland1, Apr 23, 2008.

1. prland1

prland1 LawnSite Member

I work out of the St. Charles IL area and I'm having a hard time finding a dump to unload spring clean-up refuse. Anyone from this area that can help me out.

2. CrimsonLawnCare

CrimsonLawnCare LawnSite Member

lol my company runs out of Algonquin Area about 30 mins north of you and we cant find any place ethier.. we have been looking for long time but havent had ny luck. I will let you know if we find something though

3. prland1

prland1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I do know of one place and that is Midwest's yard on rt 72 bout a mile before Beverly Rd. Please note that they are not cheap, and with the cost of fuel along way from some of my sites. Good luck!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I can't say as far as Illinois but down here in VA we have to pay $40 at the commercial dump, per load...
    It's actually per ton but I've had the good fortune of never having exceeded 2,000 lbs...

That's why, MOST of the time, I really push for making a pile someplace on the customer's property... This, over time, becomes the compost pile, there's some resistance to doing it but once I explain the problem it becomes somewhat more feasible.

Because the sick of it is...
    I charge $200 per 6x12x2 trailer load (UP to 5 cubic yards), and that's a LOT of money!
    But -$40 = 160...
    It takes me two hours to load it, another hour goes out the window in drive time and unloading...
    And I'm not sure what happens with the last hour but it's always FOUR farking hours before I'm back on track.
    Oh yes, that $200 fee includes all of the labor, cleaning it up, too (and believe you me it's STILL too much for most customers).

160 / 4 = $40 an hour, don't forget fuel and all the other costs...
    And I put almost all of me into it, too, it really takes that much out of me.
    So I don't really get a whole lot of love out of hauling either...

But for $200 a load, or lets make a compost pile...

5. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

Here in Ct we have this recycling place that charges by the yard and usually for every truckload I got its about $15.

6. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

Same up here in Maine... rounded over 8' bed costs me $15 to dump and mulch is $30 a yard at the same place. Works nice.

7. cards1

cards1 LawnSite Member

I just dumped a trailer 6' x 10' x 2' of timbers at allied waste in Edwardsville, illinois for $90.99.
    That price is minimum charge anything over a ton is more. I got lucky and had just over 1800 ibs so flate rate of $90.99

8. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

I would just Googled recycling sites with your city and state. That is how I found several places here in Denver area. They charge about the same $15.
    And some if you are buying material's it is free.