1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Employees ASAP! Classifieds?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Matts Lawns, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Matts Lawns

Matts Lawns LawnSite Member

I need to assemble a crew of two or three guys with experience to run the weekly lawn service this season. Is an ad in the classifieds going to do the trick? I so, any ideas on what exactly to post would be greatly appreciated. If not, what do I do?
  2. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

Personally, I have had terrible luck with classified ads. Not that I didn't get applicants, just the opposite, a ton of calls to screen. I return all calls, out of every 10, 2 or 3 may be worth persuing further. I've hired three times from classified and all three were dissapointments. The best workers I've had, have come by word of mouth. Good Luck.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I like the web ads like jobbing .com You can put down as much info as you like and you get immediate response. You can respond at your leisure not when your phone rings. And you get a better grade of applicants. I have one employee from the employment forum here on lawnsite, been with me for 4 months now great employee. Here a 2-day classified will run $250-$300 for 3-4 lines. A jobbing.com add was 325? for 30 days and I could edit if I was'nt getting response.
  4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

alot of guys in this area stick a "NOW HIRING" sign on their truck. I was thinking about giving that a try this year...

FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA LawnSite Member

That's a possibility i've not tried yet but maybe this year. I was hoping to hear more about the possiblity of hiring the mexican laborers, anyone do this or know anything about it? Thanks for the help.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is some information in this forum ....search Marcus Drake. We hire all Mexican crews, we get our workers through the H2B program but in our are there are many workers available this time of year.

FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA LawnSite Member

Thanks for the informaton, i'm going to look into that.