Need Encouragement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zacks Lawn Care, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Zacks Lawn Care

Zacks Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hello to all, this is my first post.I will tell a little about myself,I
    worked 25 yrs. for a big industry good money,benefits,etc,found
    out last week we will be shut down at the end of the year,due
    to down sizing. I started a part time lawn service about a year
    ago,one large commercial account and ten residentuial accounts.
    I am thinking about going back to school for landscape design
    which will be paid for because of job loss.What do you think
    should I go for it. It would be real nice to hear some encouraging
    words,what an awesome site this is.
    Thanks,
    Gene Zachary
    Zacks Lawn Care

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Welcome to LawnSite.com!

Thanks for YOUR encouraging and nice compliments.

3. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to go to school for landscaping, see if the classes will include your pesticide applicators license also. The local Community College here does that. Good luck to you and strive for quality - you will rise through the ranks nicely if you carry a good reputation.

4. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

IU'm glad to hear that your lookin to exspand your education, I' believe it's one of the best things in the world for ya. good thing about the lawn care and landscaping industry, you can never learn enough about the industry. I've been doing this now for 14 years and still learnin something new. The education will help you in ways thst you probably can't see now. Also get your chemical license, you'll be glad that you did, it's helped my business out greatly.

hang in there, when some doors close, that when new doors open. think positive and you'll do fine.:D

Richard Coffman/owner
    Special Needs Lawn Services

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I second what Brian said about good quality bringing a good reputation. You probably know that, though, if you stayed with the same company for 25 years. It's funny ... my father-in-law was in the same situation as you are, but he had a different side business - carpet cleaning, He's doing much better now than he wa$ before but he has to go out at night! :p

Stick it out, my friend! I was scared silly when we finally stepped out on our own but it's been the best thing for us, financially. Also we've learned many things and grown in ways that just wouldn't have been possible in the workplace. Good luck.

6. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Gene, I was in the same boat as you. My plant shut down over 1 year ago. I've been taking horticulture at the local college. this was the best thing I could have done. The info I'm learning is awesome. I would recommend it to anyone. Anyone could pull a trailer with lawn mowers on it but, few will know what plants work well in the landscape.

I think going to school for me was the best thing I could have done. Someone has mentioned about a pesticide class. If offered in the program I would jump on it. I'm finding fert/weed control is good money.

Well I wish you well and your heading in the right direction.

7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

FYI--Get to the Dept. of Ag. website and you'll find info for your turf and ornamental license. In a nutshell; you send in $45 and a date to take the 1 day school and they send you study material. It's a 2 day deal with the school on the first day covering elementary stuff and the test on the second day. Frankly, I can't understand why everone here in NC isn't licensed.

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

After being laid off after a plant downsizing in my home of Pittsburgh, I came to FL and worked for about 2 years for someone else. I realized the only way to make any money here was to be in business for yourself, so I started my own company 13 years ago. Working as a solo operator I have made a profit every year. After the first year I exceaded my previous pay at the good paying job in Pittsburgh. Don't be afraid to work long and hard hours to meet your goals. Always strive to be better than your competition. Above all, be reliable and do quality work.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I love hearing encourging words and success stories. Next year I am planning on leaving a job of 11 years. Sometimes I have my doubts, but I am sure that is normal. Keep the success stories a comin!

MATT

10. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Gene, call me sometime and we'll have lunch. Good Luck;there is a pretty good amount of work in your area; try to find out about the new state bill being put through legislature this year in our state for LCO's ; It's a real trip!