Need Engine Advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tmhutch, Apr 14, 2007.

1. tmhutch

tmhutch LawnSite Member

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The engine on my 5hp Sears pushmower started knocking last season and by the end of summer was ready to blow. I'm not complaining as it lasted nearly 8 years.

I dont want to spend alot of money to replace the mower and was considering another Craftsman, however, I borrowed my brothers brand new 6.5hp Craftsman and it has a harder time getting through my lawn than the old 5hp unit. I want a mower that I can push without having to slow down because the engine is bogging. Additionally, the deck on the Craftsman is only 20" as opposed to 21" on my old unit (adds up after a half acre) and the quality of the cut from the new Craftsman is horrible.

My old mower is a mulcher and did a great job without visible grass clippings and gave a nice even cut. Because of this I'm considering repowering the old mower but need more power (even though the 5hp motor bogged less than the 6.5hp on my brothers Craftsman).

Did my old mower with less power cut through the lawn better and faster because of a superior deck design or some other related factor? I'm just having a hard time believing a 6.5hp 20" deck gets bogged down easier than an old 5hp 21" deck. Not to mention the poor quality cut.

I can buy a new 7hp B&S Intek with OHV for under $200 delivered. Any other engine suggestions or advice otherwise?

Much appreciated,

Todd

2. talldaddy

talldaddy LawnSite Member

I can't answer most of your questions but I can comment on a new push mower. I bought a new mower from home depot last year to use at an industrial site around the office area only. It has a honda engine, 6-6.5 hp and around 10" diameter rear tires. It is not self propelled but it pushes very well. It seems to be a good mower. It has a bagger with it and we use it that way. I give a very good cut. I'm not sure if you can mulch with it. The price was around 250-275. We have been pleased with the mower.

3. tmhutch

tmhutch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else?

4. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

throw the old one out and get yerself a good used commecial 36" it will last longer then u.

5. tmhutch

tmhutch LawnSite Member

36" Rider? Walk behind? I just need a simple push mower. Dont like self propelled. Just need lots of power to get through thick grass. Any comments on engine choice? Is the 7hp B&S OHV a good engine?

Thanks!

6. talldaddy

talldaddy LawnSite Member

Another comment on the comparison of your mower and your brothers mower. You may have kept your blades sharper than his. A dull blade will use un-necessary hp. Another thing that will rob hp, if the front of the cut is even or higher than the back this will use un-necessary hp. This means that during the full revolution the blade it it dragging in the grass as opposed to the front of the cut being slightly down. If the front is high this would also give you a bad cut.

7. tmhutch

tmhutch LawnSite Member

Hey, that's good to know, thank you. I did consider the blade but the stance of the mower deck is new to me.

Todd