1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need equipment help for new Start

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brentwood Lawns, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Brentwood Lawns

Brentwood Lawns LawnSite Member

I am new to the site but I have been lurking for some time. In high school and college I mowed and landscaped for several people but after being in the "real world" I really want to get back into the lawn care/landscaping business.
    I have a plan to initally start part-time and as I grow the business as I see fit at the time. Mostly residential at this point.
    Just for the record "living the American dream in the 10x10 cubicle" sucks!

My questions revolve around equipment. My Craftsman 42in lawn tractor was cheap and served a purpose - until now. I know it will not cut it with my plan. I have been looking at new and used mowers. Dealers around me sell Hustler, Gravely and Scag. Scag seems very over priced - even the guy that sells them was pushing the Gravely. It seems unamious - and what I was thinking - used mowers are a roll of the dice. I do not want to break the bank to get started and still have some more work to do but I would like to narrow my search.

Give me an idea of a good start up mower.
    Quotes on what I have looked at so far - Gravely 36 WB belt drive about $2,600, Gravely 48 WB hydro $4,200 and Hustler 48 WB hydro demo unit $4,600.
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Depends on what your going to be cutting...large yards where you dont need a 36" to get into gates or what?? Also, Im against going out and getting brand new equipment when you dont have the yards lined up. Take your time and look around for some equipment that is in good shape and you might be able to get a 48 and 36 used for the price of one of them new. Being in debt sucks, especially if you do not have yards lined up to help pay. My .02
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If you can afford it, get a hydro WB rather than a belt drive.

My first mower was purchased new, but I had money saved. I didn't want a used mower with an unknown service history and I also wanted a warranty.

Take a good look at that Hustler demo unit. They make great machines, and being a demo I'll assume it's got low hours and the balance of the factory warranty. Though I've never tried it, I hear the H-bar(or whatever it's called) controls are great. I have an exmark TTHP 48" WB with the ECS controls and I love it. Just educate yourself before jumping to a decision. There is a lot of info on this site. The search button here has been my best friend for the last 2 months. It's saved me from a couple headaches already.
  4. Brentwood Lawns

Brentwood Lawns LawnSite Member

I am trying to get that education. The Hustler has about 17 hours on it. The H-bar does look like a good deal. The Gravely has the trigger type controls which I have seen a lot of negative info on. Seemed to work easy but I can see a fatigue issue over large lawns. My own is nearly 3/4 acre.
    I have heard good things about the Exmark you reference but the Exmark dealer around here is very high. He even tells you that...so I just keep looking. I have a couple more I will stop by tomorrow and visit with.
    Keep the info coming.
  5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Scag all the way for me. And I would go 500hrs or under on a used one. If it looks like it has been taken care of then it probably has. Just keep a couple hundred put aside incase you need too replace belts or a spindle. Good luck!