Need estimate help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Sep 16, 2007.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I arrived at this yard yesterday and it is hands down the largest I have had to do so far. This is my first year and I may have got in over my head.

I had three 21" mowers going and a fourth person on the edger and it took 2 hours. I'll probably be having to do this one on my own from now on though as the help was just temporary.

I didnt get and pictures of the back but the back fence sits only about 20 feet from the back of the house.

I don't know the lot size on this property either. I guess finding that out might help me a bit.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

here in northern ca. i charge around $65.00 per man per hour so do the math. $65.00 xs 8 man hours = $520.00 i hope you got close to that .
  3. MowHouston

Man. I wish. I'm just trying to save to get a Quick 36 to get stuff done faster.

I came up to $130 with it. I asked another LCO buddy of mine down here he said $100 - $150.

Only one guy was an actual hire off of The others were relatives. :)

I don't see $65/ man hour down here especially with 21" mowers. I need to get myself a set formula and such.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy @*&# Batman you pushed mowed all that. WOW thats all I can say WOW. :)
  5. MowHouston

Thats basically what I said when I first saw the place.

Me being the nice guy I am, I pushed the only mower that wasnt self propelled.

I'm very tired today. :dizzy: Most of the lawns out there were large lots and its something I'm not used to compared to Houston residential but I'll love them with a bigger mower.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to start saving some COIN and shop for a used WB then you will be alot less TIRED. I started with a TSC riding mower 10 years ago. Things a little different now. Good luck.
  7. MowHouston

Thanks. Thats my little goal right now. This is a lawn from 30 that I got from a real estate broker account. And thank goodness it was one of the last. About $900 to do them all.

He said after they are finished he'd be willing to pay for the full month in advance. Cha-ching. And I'll get that WB. :)
  8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

another helpful post. so, at $65/hr im hiring 10 helpers to go out at minimum wage, each with $3.99 pair of scissors for 10 hours each. so, 10x10x65, woohooo im making $6500 on this lawn, minus the $39 in scissors and $7/hr min wage is $700 for the day. so. i just made $5761 since id dont pay any insurance or taxes as i presume the person who wrote this quote doesnt, for the simple reason being anyone dumb enough to tell a kid who just started mowing lawns to charge $65/hr with a $99 21" push mower isnt too smart.

now, there is also this "new" area for people Starting A Lawn Care & Landscaping Business to ask questions. its called "Starting A Lawn Care & Landscaping Business" and tells you to post here "If you are just starting a lawn care and landscape business and you need advice from the pros, post here."

that is my advice
  9. MowHouston

Wow. I was hoping there weren't a lot of "trolls" in these forums but I guess every forum has a few.

I already stated that $65/ man hour wasn't gonna cut it. Thanks for reiterating that.

I started up earlier this year so I'm not just starting one right now and I saw another post pretty similar to this one in this very section so I doubt it is gonna hurt to have another question. I just wanted to know what others thought was a good price.

I'll ask any "new" questions in the "Starting" a lawn "care" business "forum" in the "future" though.

Thats about the only good advice you gave, irrelevant as it was.
  10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if and when you make it to have one, two, even three years of service, you might come on here to ask real questions for fellow "pros." it may be of product quaility, how to deal with certain type of customer you havent had before, or something else, but most likely not a question of how to price a 10/15K lawn.

I didnt mean to be rude irrelevant troll, but this forum is designed to help people in various stages of their business. you are not using it the way it was intended. i was looking to help someone further along, not a newbie. when i want to help newbie's i go to that area, which i do a bit. if i had asked a question in this section i would not want you to answer. not because i dont think you know what your doing, but simply because you havent experienced the same problems other guys, both big and small, have faced though their carreers.

i really do wish you the best in your business endevors but im tired of coming on and seeing the site mis-used. im not angry at all but if nobody confronts the out of place posts the site will continue to go downhill. good luck with your business, i would take that lawn to be in the $100+ range, but they are poor pictures and it is very difficult to make out the property lines to tell how big it is,as well as if there is a back lawn.