Need Everyone's Input!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guido, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I'm pretty busy at the moment, we're doing a lot of materials handling work. When I'm not in a forklift I'm sitting idle in a tractor trailer getting loaded unloaded.

I was thinking of ways to keep busy then, and when I have free "relax" time at home. I really enjoy writing, and the industry, so I was thinking that I would start writing on some hot topics in our industry and post articles or mini-books on my website for newcomers to read and help educate themselves with. I have a list of about 15 topics so far that I'm working on, but I would like to hear from others here. What are important topics that you would like to learn more about? I'd especially like to hear formt he smaller guys and newbies.

Hope we can get a good list going to give me some ideas.

Thanks in Advance!

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

well dirt boy, i am not to heavily educated in what fertilizer chemicals do what subject

3. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

1.I would say an important topic to cover is estimating. Many new people in the business underestimate the costs of jobs and loose money very quickly.

2. I also would say determining overhead to factor into costing.

3. Types of equipment needed for startup and building up as business volumne increases.

4. Importance of licenses, insurance, etc.

Just my thoughts.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

5. Client/Contractor relationships

6. Equipment Maintenance

7. Pavement Maintenance (sealcoating/line striping/hot pour crack filling v. cold patch/etc.)

Just to add a few.
    Kris

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

how about info on government contracts to bid on for the 2002 season??!!

6. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Here are some of the areas I need help in:

8. Hardscaping- Basic principals and how to estimate time and pricing

9. How to smoothly go from a one man show to a supervisory role

7. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Guido, you're one of the few pwople here that will stress the importance of job costing.
    Thank you.
    I hope to see more on this topic.

Does anybody have a link to that infamous Walker Talk article on job costing?
    It's a goodie!
    I was going to post it for all the new guys, but I can't find it.

8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Everything listed so far...

And,
    Long term planning, and budgeting - for retirement or unforeseen disasters.
    Geographic specific pricing polls to get an industry norm for specific areas for annual income for solo's and big operations.

BTW,.

Gweeedo, glad to see you back posting with everything going on - you were quiet for a while last week.

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

10. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to see figuring any and all overhead costs down to the penny!! I would also like to see estimating large commercials accurately!!! Good luck Guido.