Need expert opinions on this machine

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NEUSWEDE, Jul 29, 2012.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

You guys always seem to know the ins and outs of equipment. I am looking at this 2004 160LC ( http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8485025& )
    They brought it up to Maine for me to look at. Seems like a fair price and in good shape. Here is a quick video walk around, don't have a Deere Key and the dealer isn't back around till Monday so couldn't run it.
    http://youtu.be/vEz7jhc_6M8

Pros:
    Good hours
    Chains just replaced
    Has AUX hydros for a thumb
    all sheet metal is in good shape
    JRB Coupler
    They have a thumb for it that is new old stock. (will cost extra)
    Price seems good for machines in my area with features and hours.

Cons:
    the Boom has been repaired at the bend for cracks. Seems like a good repair
    could had ran a hammer?
    Bucket has had some repairs as it looks like the whole bottom was cut out.
    Can't find a pattern changer (in the cab or in the engine bay)
    24" pads to narrow? Wont be in a lot of mud

IMG_0147.jpg

2. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Price seems high to me.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 28" tracks but that's just me.

3. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

4. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know its a deere and it a touch bigger but my 140 volvo wont but 60K and its a 2006 had 1400hrs hydraulic thumb. does have the 24" pads thats about the narrowest tracks I'd want on a machine that size I wish it had 28's

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

they hauled it to you just for you to look at? Sounds like they want to get rid of it. Offer low.

6. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

My guess would be that the machine has been abused if they repaired the boom. But that's just my opinion.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have been looking at newer 160 sized machines to replace mine for some time now. A Deere with a repaired boom (huge deduct), 7K hours, no thumb for 60K is no deal to me. However every man for himself. I would guess you would be another 8K on top of that for the thumb. There must be better machines to look at out there.

8. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

I am in a weird market for used equipment. I am pretty much end of the road. Nothing really beyond me so it is here to the south. Problem with that is when equipment comes in it sells quick. Most people here run equipment forever. I have been looking for awhile. Trying to stay in the $55K area but hard to find many machines that have lower hours with atleast hydros plumbed and not beaten up, most are in the 80-100k area because of the market.

I find stuff in the south but problem is I am too busy and don't have the time to fly down and demo and then trucking up takes away from the savings.

I have had a Komatsu 160 on rent and wish I could justify the 110k they want for it and thats with 1200 hours.

The big pro to me with this machine was the new chains. I have looked at 4 machines in the past couple months all needed new chains and was estimated around 8k to fix. I can get a used pro link thumb for 3k or have MC Faulkner (local equipment attachment fabricator) build a new one for 6K

Chris that is deal you got on your 140. If I found that I would jump on it in a hurry.

I appreciate all the input. I have work but it isn't a 5 day a week work load or I would be going new or spending more on a better unit. Just trying to get into something to bid better to close more jobs and have a monthly payment for what I pay for rental per week.

9. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

take a look at the hitachi zx160s on machiery trader. Way better motor (izuzu), lower hours, and in your price range. You would be suprised how good of a deal you can get on transport.

10. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't be afraid of the 24" inch pads on that machine. I have those on my 160 and I walk across wet bogs all the time with no issues. Stability wise, there isn't much to gain with the bigger pads either.

Sean's thought on looking at the 160 Hitachis of that vintage is a good thought. The Isuzu engine is very good and has better reliability and economy than the Deere engine according to several people I have talked with in the past.

With that said, if you can find a 160CLC Deere with a few less hours and a non-repaired boom, for around the same money I would jump on that in a second. My old employer has a 160CLC that they bought the same week I started working for them back in 2006. I just ran that machine earlier this year (2012) and though it was beat up and had almost 7000hrs on the clock, the thing started easily and ran great. I think that just goes to show the durability of the Hitachi/Deere design, regardless of what engine is put in the machine.

Good luck!