1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Feed back

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tjw4444, Dec 14, 2006.

1. tjw4444

tjw4444 LawnSite Member
    from nj

I needed to know what would be a good logo for

Off The Wall Landscaping
    " Turning Imagination Into Creation "

And also how does The name and slogan sound?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, but I'm not all sure that "off the wall" is that great of a name for a landscaping co.. It just sounds too "loose ended", like there are going to be a couple of yahoo teenagers showing up to do the work. Now, if it were a sound production company, or something like that, perhaps I could see a name like that ("Off the wall" productions), or perhaps even a sporting goods store, or something. But to put that with landscaping or maintenance services, it just doesn't match up. Wold you hire a company alled "Off Kilter Carpentry"? Or "Off Your Rocker Consulting"?
  3. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I second that. I simply find nothing appealing about those word choices. You'd be better off just using your real name in the company name for marketing purposes, because it would not confuse the reader.
  4. tjw4444

tjw4444 LawnSite Member
    from nj

The only thing is ive had a good feed back on the name and slogan from all of my clients which is about 45 people and many of my teachers in school. I take marketing in school and even my teacher said its a very creative name and will catch people's attention. By the way my last name is Wall so thats why i made the name Off The "Wall" Landscaping. I like the name and so does everyone else i asked. But once again professional landscapers would probably know better than me. Please send more feedback and thanks for your help.
  5. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Off The Wall Landscaping
    " Turning Imagination Into Creation "
    Maybe add
    Off The "Wall" Landscaping
    " Turning Imagination Into Creation " or something else to bring out your name.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Many folks who have never ran a business may think a catchy name is good. This isn't because they've never taken a marketing course or did not excel in it, it is because they've never had the opportunity to experience working under such a name.

As for me, I've learned a smart (or catchy) name is as likely to backfire as it is to gain attention, in addition to possibly attracting the wrong crowd, one can never predict exactly the backwards effects of such names, but effects there are, some quite unpredictable and annoying :laugh:

For an example of an annoying side effect, I get the occasional call from the stony point subdivision... And people in this case almost always act as if, since I *live* in that neighborhood, they're going to get a good rate (No, I am not joking, I get price shoppers because of it). Meanwhile, I really do not live in that subdivision and there exists a stony point in new york, another in north carolina, I mean, it's just a name to me...

While we were discussing advertising slogans, my advertiser and I threw around 'Let us sweat your grass off' (his idea lol). And while we both laughed pretty good, we ended up deciding against it for the main reason that we were not sure how it would fly / what kind of customers it might attract / scare away.

I find it really is best, in a real business, to pick a down to earth name or slogan, a common, boring thing.

But, that's just me.
  7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Well, in my opinion, the name doesn't work. And using it will make your advertising dollars less effective.

You don't need a catchy name to get started. I would just get started using your own name. Like: Joe Smith's Landscape Creations, or something like that. Probably there will be no need for a ficticious business name registration in your state since your name would not be ficticious. That means you save a few bucks. Later if you get a brilliant name idea, you can change it.
  8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have a simple basic name and i could tell you that out of 112 customers i get my checks written out into 5 different variations even though they get told our corporate name and its on all our paperworks .... No one cares about a name they care about a good service at a good price.. I wouldnt try anything risky til you have an established business already incase it doesnt work you already have customers to fall back on
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea "Off the Wall" sounds like someone will get the shrub planted upside down. I don't think you should go with that in my opinion. I don't have a degree in marketing, but I am a consumer like everyone else, and Im currently getting bids on an addition to my house. I know for sure I wouldnt call Off The Wall Construction...it conjurs up too many bad thoughts in my head lol