NEED FEEDBACK 03 c4500 8.1

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by AdamChrap, Jun 3, 2008.

1. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at this truck:

Year: 2003
    Make: GMC
    Model: C4500
    Mileage: 38,210
    Type: CLASS 4 (GVW 14001 - 16000)
    Category: Dump Truck

Engine Make: GMC
    Engine Model: 8.1
    Fuel Type: Gas
    Transmission Make: Allison
    Rear Axles: 463
    Suspension: Spring

Price: $18,000

Anyone running one like this? Specifically the 8.1L? How is the power? I am sure the fuel mileage is horrible but how horrible?
    Any input would be great I am most likely buying something soon!

92128912_1thumb_550x410.jpg

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

You'll get around 8mpg. I've got an '04 with DMAX and I get 10.5mpg. Used to drive one that had the 8.1L at a previous company and had good power.

Just please put some simulators on it if you do get it ;)

3. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

with 4.56 axles you will have enough power and you will pass everything but the gas station

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Good truck but plan on only getting 5-6mpg with a load. Powerwise you should be fine with a injected big block engine. No stomping on the go pedal let the engine do the work.

If you do buy the truck wheel sims make 19.5 wheels look better. That is a good deal I would go for it.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i like the bed

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For the price, I would snatch it up!

7. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 2003 8.1L with Allison combo in my 2500HD Sierra. This combo has great power but GM has allowed for oil consumption at an accepted rate of 1qt per thousand miles under heavy loads. Yep............1qt per 1000 miles !! My 8L will use about that under heavy towing loads. At first I thought that this was a problem with assembly so after many trips to the dealer and a letter from GM the expected usage was indeed confirmed.

I never used that much oil in early year GM big blocks and find this to be a design issue. GM says it is because of lower viscosity oils (5w30) required for correct oil flow thru smaller oil passages than on previous designs.

I still have the truck. It has 115k on it and runs perfect...........except for the oil usage which is only noticed under a load. Don't misunderstand ..............this is not visible blowby out the exhaust.

Sooooooooo if it were me............I would keep looking for a Duramax at reasonable cost. You may be happier in the end.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2001 3500 with the 8.1L. I expected worse mileage on the last trip than I got. Before the change in fuels to 10% ethanol I was getting 13-14 MPG. With the change, it has been around 12. Towing the brick of a u-haul 6x12 didn't change it much either with a total GCVW of about 13K. Did find out that the 8.1 doesn't like the 55-60 MPH range with 4.10 gears and a load. Push it up to 70 MPH and the truck would stay out of the lower gears instead of hunting between 4th and 5th.

As for the oil use mentioned above, yep. One reason they allow for it is lubrication of the valves which no longer have lead to keep them from galling. Straight 30 wt will cut down on use but with 5w-30 or even 10w-30, mine burns the 1 qt/1K miles.

9. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

Deal was to good, Was gone the next day. Decided to buy a 08 F-250 V8 4x4instead for pulling everyday and I am going to turn our 2000 f350 4x4 V10 flatbed into a dump truck. Thanks for all the input

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

what did you get the 08 ford for?