Need Fertilizer Information

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by adawg, Apr 26, 2007.

1. adawg

adawg LawnSite Member

Hello -

I am hoping someone here can help me out. I got called out of town for work last fall and missed my winterizer application. Now that it is starting to warm up, I am just getting back into town from vacation and I am sure I am late for my spring application.

Can you suggest a fertilizer (preferably Lesco) that will help green-up my grass? It is getting its color back, but is still a little pale. I'd prefer something with weed/crabgrass killer in it.

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion try the Dimension 18-0-10 .21% ai.
  3. adawg

adawg LawnSite Member

The closest match my Lesco dealer has is DIMENSION 0.10% 19-0-6 30%PPSCU

Would that be okay? They really don't have much else in stock.
  4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

That should work fine for you in Michigan, if you have some left over try a second application about 6 weeks after the first to be on the safe side.
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

That's good--but let your grass get well out of dormancy--Here in TN, we are on our 4-5 mowing. Been beautiful green even during late snow for a month-6 weeks. That little touch of iron will do wonders. the 19-0-6 could be augmented with a little extra potassium (potash) which most grasses like
  6. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

The best time for fertilizers is fall and winter. The grass plant stores the fertilizer after it converts the nitrogen salts to carbohydrates. In the Spring the plants photosynthesis are up as respiration is down. At the same time the growth is up and the storage is down. Fertilizing with a low nitrogen and iron would be ideal. I would use a liquid weed control as it is far better effective for broadleafs. Crabgrass! Dimension is great! No more than 4 lbs. of nitrogen per thousand square feet for the year.
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

34-3-11 (3 lbs/1000)
    19-0-6 + Dimension (4 1/2 lbs/1000)

Good luck