1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Front Yard Ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bh758, May 30, 2008.

1. bh758

bh758 LawnSite Member

Hi, we live in the Midwest and most people out here tend to use their backyard as recreational areas instead of their front yard. However our house faces northeast so in the evenings, in the backyard, the sun is always in our eyes.

How can we use our front yard instead of our backyard without it looking tacky? We have like a 5x5' patio at our front door and a small sidewalk.

What if we want to use some furniture and/or a fire pit in the front yard, where would we store 'things' when not in use (for easy access and not having to walk around to the back patio to grab stuff.)

Any creative ideas/suggestions?

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I suggest you hire a landscape architect or designer. Designs are not free to homeowners.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Non-tacky storage in the front yard? Start observing what others may have done.

This isn't so much a design issue as building issue, like a mini garage or something.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I think the front is way over-looked for usable patio space. The challenge would be how do you make it look well for curb apeal.

Couple ideas. Simple- Think about a porch of some kind. Since the advent of air-conditioning, the idea of a good front porch has gone out the window. Complex- Use a unique idea, such as a paver patio with a short seating wall in front. Make it curvy, and incorperate the whole front, like you would a porch. Take it a step farther and add pillars around the front walk, and install an awning to make a little shade for those odd times of day when it gets a shot of sunlight.

The short seating wall closes in the patio for a sense of privacy, but you still can be social when the neighbor walks by.

Always remember though, curb appeal. That will sell your house in the future if you need to.

Like the sig states

If you like, I could do a design for a fee of course. I'll I would need is the pics.