Need Gift Ideas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SJR Lawncare, Apr 2, 2003.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I buy all of my mulch & plants, etc. from a local nursery who always recommends me to customers who come in and ask for a reliable lawn & landscape guy. I literally get at least 5 calls a week & can pick & choose which jobs I want. This has been going on for a couple of seasons now, so needless to say, I have made a fair amount of money off this. So, What do you guys think would be an appropriate gift for the nursery & its employees? (Even the employees are recommending me, not only the owners) I was thinking a catered lunch or something, but I dont know how that would work, also, I dont want to blow all my profits on them.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

A catered lunch sounds good, but a sit down meal somewhere & you go with them would be even better. Just tell everyone there you want to take them to dinner. You might want to call the restaurant ahead of time and have them set up a small pre-fixed menu for your group (I use to cook for a living). It would be super nice, I'm sure plus it wouldn't break your bank the way ordering ala carte off the menu would. Nothing like sharing a meal to get to know folks better & show appreciation.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You should check your numbers and see what amount of revenue and profit was generated from all of their leads to find out what you could and/or should actually do for them.

You are helping them as well by purchasing material from them, also, the more work you do, the more product they will be able to sell you. So the more work they get you, the more they make also.

Not that you don't appreciate their referrals, but it works both ways. Like I said, see what they've actually generated for you and then decide on their reward. Maybe only pizza delivered to their business, or five star dining. You'll have to decide. Something should be in store for them, I know they'd appreciate it.

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

How many people are we talking about taking out to eat? You could get a dynamite pre-fix for probably as little as $12 - $15 per person. Where I worked, we would put on 7 course wine dinners for $250 per plate, but also catered to small groups coming in just like the one you are considering. Just pick the right restaurant. If you take 10 people out @ $15 each, that's just $150 or so plus tip call it $200. Not bad. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If you are making a genuine show of appreciation I don't think weighing input/output should figure all that much in the thinking. Spread some good will around. A lot of people think it but never act. Besides, if you want to look at this as purely a "business" decision I bet you make a few new friends doing it & probably the return you get would be immeasurable. My .02.

5. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks alot guys, we are talking about 7 or 8 people, so thats not too many. I know a restraunt that also caters here, so I will check into it.

Thanks again.

Steve

6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Unless there is a veggie in the group you might think about having a hog roast. There are carters who do this I suppose but I have a friend who always cooks mine. I spend about 2 hundred on a keg of beer and the hog. Any kind of cook out would give it a more personal touch then the restaurant. Just a thought.