Need Goggles, and an O2 tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

This dry weather is driving me crazy. Last week I had a field to mow, and the cut up dry grass would blow back in my face everytime the wind changed direction.
    I think I should by swimmers goggles, and an air tank to strap to my back.
    It got me thinking.. why MFG's dont try and make the discharge further back or out the rear somehow. I bet those guys on three wheel riders are a real mess.

Jim

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In order to achieve a good discharge in an almost infinate variety of conditions the best way to do it is to get the grass from under the deck as fast as possible. Passing the grass from one blade to the next seems to work fairly well. Once you get the grass to the edge of the deck you need to make sure that it keeps moving to get a good dispersal. If you were to channel the grass in a different direction it would slow down and reduce the discharge speed.

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Jimbo, a few things are in the mail. I hate the way some of the stuff aways goes to the face. It's always getting in the ears too. How far are you from Baltimore? Good luck.

4. Jimbo

I am about an hour west of Baltimore.

5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

There's a Lesco in Baltimore. Maybe on a bad weather day or something you could go by and familiarize yourself with them. They are pretty knowledgable and it's a good place to network with other LCO's.

6. Jimbo

Once I get the info you mailed I will certianly consider making the trip (maybe late fall though), as I am very busy. Thanks for all your help....I wont forget it!

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The bigger commercial Toro units (batwing) have rear discharge decks. I believe the big Jakes do too. I know that Walkers GHS decks basically discharge rearward but those clippings are meant to be bagged.
    I'd like to read an engineers perspective on this.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well Jimbo since you are an hr west of Baltimore then you aren't far from me in Harrisburg....you must be irrigating your clients grass...or....getting those pop up storms that continue to go north and south of Hbg. For the last 3 days in a row, they called for storms here and every one of them went North to Penn Sate or south to York and down your way...its getting aggravating...I've gotten to the point where I wear small goggles all the time...yes uncomfortable...but every time you make a turn with a breeze you eat the stuff and into the eyes it goes....and since we only get one set of body parts, injuring any of them puts us on the bench....so send some rain up this way!

9. Jimbo

Kitzy,

If we were getting rain I would send you some, but were not. If we do get a passing shower it is very light, and the sun comes out and drys it up in a few minutes. I dont think the rain even soaks in since the ground is so hard.
    What we need is a nice three day rain to make a difference.....I dont think we are going to get it.

Jim

10. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Yea, we are hurtin' real bad. Gonna be some guys saying bye to this line of work this year!