1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need good starter for Vanguard

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by c.schulz, Aug 6, 2010.

1. c.schulz

c.schulz LawnSite Member
    from mi

Im looking for a company that can sell me a GOOD HD starter for my 20hp Horizontal Vanguard? Ive looked at the Denso and would like one of those but the price was $260 + shipping. Anyone know of a reasonable price for one or I can and would use a HD Briggs as long as it has a metal gear.

Chris

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

You might give NAPA a try. They have a line of starters for marine, atv and small engine use. If you had supplied engine numbers I would have checked my NAPA book.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Have you tried Briggs and Stratton?

Also unless the original started had a metal gear, you shouldnt put a metal gear where there was plastic before.

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I looked up a Briggs with engine numbers---356777, 0034G1. Starter part numbers is 691564 and the oem can be purchased on numerous sites for about $135. NAPA shows three replacement starters from three different sources.

RPS 5776 List $189 180 day warranty.

SME 706874 List $224 Limited lifetime warranty

WIL 91351028 List $335 One year warranty

If you have an account at a NAPA franchise, you can likely buy at a better price. My price is about 70% of list.