1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Gypsy Moth advice.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shovelracer, Jun 17, 2007.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I just purchased a 2.63 acre property that is heavily wooded and backs more wooded land. This area has been seeing increasing defoliation rates and overall moth quantities. The property itself is 50% wooded and currently has severe gypsy moth infestation. There are literaly 10's of thousands of these things. They are all over the house and you cant look at the trees without seeing tons of them. Most of the trees are old oaks of 100ft or greater.

They are expected to cocoon in the next week or two so this year may be a loss. What can I do to reduce the rates of these in the future without great expense, bad health effects for me and my neighbors, etc. I have read of several treatments including traps. I do not want to risk using something that has potential side effects like Sevin or some others. So any help or advice is welcome. If it helps I am a licensed pesticide turf and ornimental business, but not trees, but since I own the property that shouldnt matter, but I can get RUP if need be. Although I would prefer a different method. For rough measurements we are talking about maybe 100 tall oaks and another 150 midsized trees mostly oak. Thanks
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am a lawn man, too. But if you have a helicopter--or can hire one--apply a spray of the bacterial disease Bacillius thurgiensis also know as BT. Properly timed to attack the very young (just hatched) larvae next year would be a good bet. Local authorities or tree services can advise you of the best date as the season approaches next year. About mid-May.

Also there are several diseases and virus diseases of the gypsy moth poly-hedron virus or something like that. Travel to an area that has had the gypsy moth for the longest time in the US. Collect a bunch of the insects--assume some are infected--grind them up and spray the slurry on your trees. When they crawl throuh the slurry assume that most will become infected--even if you don't know exactly with what virus, bacteria or fungus.

Here is link to the virus Etc:

Or let nature take its course.
    Good luck.