Need help, 5.5 hp suzuki is knocking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie13, Jul 18, 2003.

1. lonnie13

lonnie13 LawnSite Member

I have a 21" toro with a 5.5 suzuki. My problem is, after about 10 minutes of mowing, my mower starts to knock, ping, rattle, I am not quit sure. It does'nt seem to affect the cutting at all, but I am unfamiliar with 2 cycles and don't know if it is normal or not. The sound does seem more pronounced when it is on grass instead of concrete. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Lonnie i have a 21 proline 4yrs old with 4-1/2hp suzuki it does make a ratteling sound but never knocks, id take it back to your dealer and let him hear the machine, good dealer will take care of you.....Marks Mowing Service

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is doing the same thing. So I called my dealer this morning he said it could be a detonation problem or it could something with the blade? Hopefully they can get it figured out. :confused:

4. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

Mine too!

Ten minutes of hard work and it starts to knock and rattle. The mower is less than a month old. I only run about 1 to 2 tanks of gas through it per week, so you can imagine it's not worn out.

My a$$hole dealer tells me it is normal. I had a customer ask me if I hit something and hurt my mower, because it was rattling. I told her no, and she said it sounds like you need a new mower. Yup, 983 dollars and less than a month old, and that's what I get.

Dealer had it for three days and gave it back telling me it is fine and dont worry about it. He's losing a ZTR sale over this issue. I'll never buy from him again.

I thought the 2 stroke Proline was the best there is. Now, I wonder. Sorry to vent, but I thought I was the only one who had a noisy Suzuki.:cry: :cry: :cry:

5. T.E.

Hey guys, Mine also started knocking soon after I got my mower which was in April, but it quit and I haven't heard it since, until this week. My dealer also said that it could be the blade hub that is under the mower could be loose,but it sure doesn't sound like I would expect $985.00 mower to sound. I also told him that other people were having the same problem. I'm supposed to take it monday, if I find out anything I'll let you know. Have a good weekend. :cool:

6. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

Oh great, I just ordered mine (due in next week) and I can just see my wife now yelling at me for going overboard on a Proline and then having it knock. She wanted the kawaski and I said no, the Suzuki is the better engine. Hopefully it is just a loose part and not the engine!
    Is everyone running the same oil who has knocking???

7. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

I use only Stihl oil. I use the gas station's digital pump to assure that I get the exact amount of gas needed in each can.

My dealer checked compression on my machine and said it was good, so he knows I didn't run straight gas through it or anything (it would have hurt the piston and cylinder running it without pre-mix).

They also took off the blade hub and stuff underneath and spent hours scratching their heads trying to figure it out, They said that the noise is in the engine for sure, not external.

He told me to run it till it scatters. I'm gonna be hard to get along with when it finally breaks and I have to use my back up Snapper (POS). Nothing I can say will make him warranty it till it blows up. I'm definitely not buying my ZTR from him. I bought my Scag walk behind there, I hope it doesn't ever need warranty work.:angry:

8. T.E.

I'm running stihl oil thats all I have in my two cycles. I don't think it is a major problem,as there are too many of them out there. It is just annoying as heck to hear this clanging sound. It is more of a rattle than a knock. As for the two cycle vs. the kaw I ask the dealer and they told me the two cycle hands down for the commercial work. So I hope they're right. :)

9. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I just Switched my order for 3 of the Kaw Prolines to Suzuki's because of the biGGer gas tank & Much Better Air Filter. From what I understand Both models will be replaced with the Gutless Honda neXt year.

Do You people with the Knocking Problem Have the BBC?

10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to get to far off topic, but what made the 5.5 Suz two stroke more attractive than the 6.5 Kaw. Test drove one at my local shop could not believe the ground speed, and how quite the thing was. Not really too seriously looking for a trim mower so did not cut any grass with it The proline was 850 out the door.