1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help-52 wb or 48 ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shawes, Nov 19, 2005.

1. shawes

shawes LawnSite Member

Looking to add a new mower to my 36 walk behind. I have a friend selling 2004 scag 52 hydro walk behind with 128 hours. Will sell it to me for $4000 including sulky and 5 x 8 trailer. I know it has been taken care of. Or do I go with a 2005 48 inch tiger cub for $5900. I only cut residential. I had initially been interested in a ztr because of easy height adjustment and convenience. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

keep 36 buy 48
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Productivity is the key, a 48" Z will blow away a 52" walk anyday. 9mph vs 6 mph, sitting vs standing. easy to figure.
  4. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you get the Hustler WB with a velke, at 8 mph. It really depends on your terrain too, If you have enough Hills, even a slower WB like exmark would be more productive. All flat, well that is a different story, I dont know that luxury living here in western NC>
  5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What size areas are you cutting and are there a lot of places a rider can't be used? If it were me, unless you are cutting more than 1 acre lots go with the hydro WB.
  6. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

I would take the WB if the majority of your your yards are not over 1 acre. If you are doing high end yards your cut will be much better and you will be able to change directions easier than a ZTR which will eventually rut the yards. Fast is not always good with a million dollar 1/2 acre home. perfect is good. If you have alot of 1 acre homes a Ztr would be better if you can change directions of the cut easily. You can not cut a 1/2 acre yard fast if you want to keep the customer. The Scag WB is great and weighs 500lbs less than the Tiger. With both WB's you will be able to cut a professional job, not race around.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

why is everyone scared to take a 48 ZTR onto 1/4 and 1/2 acre lots. I use my 60 all day long. Most are flat and simple. I use my 36 ZTR on those that aren't. 36 ZTR twice as efficient as my 36 WB. Would imagine a 48 ZTR to be at least 50% more efficient on properties than a 52 WB, unless of course most are full of beds and trees.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

ZTR's don't rut, drivers do. If you vary the pattern of cut and learn how to turn properly a ZTR will not damage most lawns any more than a WB and in some areas even less.

Fast is good. so long as you know how to be fast. Sharp blades, knowledge of the terrain, knowledge of the mower. And when to not be fast.

Price of house is of no concern. customer pride and desires are what matter and of course your quality and skill in meeting their desires. Either / Any machine will work well if you use it properly. The point is, ZTR's are more versital, but do have their limits. You just have to learn what they are and use a different peice of equipment when the ZTR isn't the right thing.

My suggestion, demo the ZTR for a few days and see if it would work for you.
  9. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Wear and Tear-----------------on your body.

Go with a ZTR that fits your needs and conditions.

I got about 15 years of age on you. Everything you've done in the past will eventually catch up with your body. Orthopedic surgeons await.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I rn my 52" eXmark Turf tracer hp for almost 2 seasons now, and you know what is my next upgrade...Gravely 152 Z or a Lesco 54 z two. Of course, hydro walk can cut as you and everybody mentioned all reasons but WEAR and TEAR, FATIGUE are the key factors switching to a Z. Just keep your 36" walk for hill and gate, but for daily and the grunt work go with the Z.