1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help adding in a split application of pre-m to my program.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Dec 13, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

this season i am adding a split application of per-m to my 6 step program .
    this is what my 6 step looks like......
    1. lime 2/15-3/30
    2. pre-m with fert. 4/1-4/30
    3. fert. with liq. broadleaf control 5/1-6/1
    4. fert. application 6/1-6/30
    5. fert. app. 9/1-9/30
    6. fert. app. 11/5...
    grub control and fungicide application as needed (xtra charge)
    i was thinking of adding in a 7 step between step 1 and 2 that were the added pre-m app. will fall in...
    what do you guys think?
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to time your second application just before your barrier breaks down from your first application. Is Pre-M about 6 weeks? Possibly replace step 4. Or use dimension 1 app. in April. Add a broadleaf weed in fall sometime. IMHO
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

This very similar to my program. Important, don't overdo it!!! Many people will tellou Scotts is only 4 step,or the big guy offers too much. If you're truely concerned about pre-m you can try Dimension as it lasts longer, or use Team, Pendameth, for step 1 and Dimension step 4 (Dimensionis post emergent also if caught in 1st/2nd tiller stage) only downside is Dimension will still be somewhat active through September and may inhibit germination if seeding early fall.

Personally, the only thing youmay want to change/add is spraying w/ pre-M step if not too cold to freeze pump as this will eliminate chickweed before it gets too ot ofhnd, also dandelions are usually up this early. possibly ofer insect ctrol w/ June application.

We also charge extra for Grub and Fungus applicatios and they are add-ons to fert program!

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

You might back up you lime a month. Round one in late March and round two first of May.
  5. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

The one time app. of dimension will save you money in the long run in my opinion. Pre-emergent is my most expensive app. (except disease and insect.) Do you do any soil tests to see if the soil is actually acidic, and identify the nutrient requirements. I incorporated soil tests a few years ago. I take it when I first land the job or the first application. I charge the customer $ 40.00 it takes just a few minutes to take the sample from a site and have it tested. It is a great selling point, giving the lawn what it needs, kind of a custom tailored program for their lawn. Not to mention environmentally friendly. Generally they vary only slightly maybe a 19-19-19 app. for low potassium or phosphorus is all that is needed. Most test will give you a liming requirement if it is needed to fine tune your amounts. Just a thought
  6. anthony

anthony Guest

just a re-cap ...
    the second application worked out this yr...

little crabgrass

thanks for the past replys..
  7. PRE-M is Pendamethalin.

I would switch the 2 arround and go DIM then the pen if needed.

Tremor has a nice list of best to worst pre-ems in this thread.