Need Help/Advice - Condo Bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DPM, Mar 15, 2004.

1. DPM

DPM LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm putting in a bid for a 36 unit complex. My question is should I charge hourly or should I charge xx amount for each postage stamped lot? I'm planning to charge hrly for spring/fall cleanups & pruning.

Let's say I'll charge $20 for each unit...that's $720 just for the wkly mowing...not including everything else they want done. Do you think the Association will RUN from that wkly mowing price??

I like to get my foot in the door without losing my shirt!

Any ADVICE on bidding condo complexes is greatly appreciated.

2. matitude

matitude LawnSite Member

Usually the condo's want a set price for all services. Your case may be different. As for the mowing price I'll assume that you get all or none of the mowing and they wont break up the cutting for individual units. If this is the case you probably are high on your cost I would look at it keeping in mind how long it would take to cut the entire property as a whole. There is no drive time envolved so you should be able to adjust your price accordingly.

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

How long will you be there?

4. DPM

DPM LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm thinking it's about a days work (8 hrs) doing is solo.

5. Expert Lawns

If my math is correct, that is $90/hour. for a solo op, i'd say that is decent. just be sure you know what you're spending in gas. be sure you have factored in a little money to pay for the truck, the trailer, the mower, insurance etc. I think you're close though

6. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

8 hours? That seems like a long time to take care of only 36 units... How big are the lawns? Bagged or discharged? What equipment and how many guys?

Todd

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

you will be to high at 90/man hour

most of my bids are 30-45/per man

a 36 unit complex is way to big to handle yourself, i would definatly hire some more help before you end up burning yourself out.

8. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

We take care of a 98 unit apt complex with two guys... a 36 unit complex is possible for a one man show

Todd

9. Expert Lawns

If the price is right and you get the job, it would be manageable with one man. Working for an association can be a great thing. They are good references and are willing to write letters of reccomendation. (at least this is my experience). If you know you can do it, I'd go for it.

10. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not saying that it is imposible to do solo but it is definatly not reliastic....i would not take it on if i was a solo that for sure.