Need help.. again. Widening beds.. Best approach?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawn-Scapes, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Someone wants their landscape beds enlarged by about foot and in a couple of areas a couple of feet. I measured it out to be approximately 250 linear feet.

Then I have 8 individual shrubs that I need to put beds around. About 1.5 - 2 feet from center will need to be removed.

Can someone tell me what would be the best tool for the job? Sod cutter, tiller or something else? Please don't say a shovel ;)

How long do you think this would take?

Any help would be most appreciated!

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say just a reartine tiller would get it done with the least shovel-ness towards you:D

3. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks..

Anyone else?

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Brown Mfg. Bed edger and a small tiller.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Can anyone go into more detail? I have not done this before... Till first then edge? How long do you think it'll take?

Pretty Please?

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i just edge and spray with round up when it dies string trim it out and mulch

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are the beds being enlarged? Is it simply a larger mulched area or will it be planted? If the client is going to want annuals or perennials planted in the new area, then you need to do more than if its just putting more mulch down.

8. Lawn-Scapes

It's a case of the turf creeping inward and the existing landscape growing out....

I was hoping to get away with using a son cutter?

9. Lawn-Scapes

bump

10. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Tom - If you've got a minimum of 12", and more in places - I would recommend the following.

1) Mark out your new bed lines by painting them in
    2) Use a sod cutter first along the outside line of your new bed line, then work into the bed cutting out sod
    3) Spade edge or use a bed edger to lay in new edge along your new bed line
    4) Rototill and amend soil if necessary
    5) Clean up bed edge/gutter - easy to do since you already established it
    6) Grade bed out
    7) Plant, mulch accordingly

I am always an advocate of removing sod instead of rototilling it under. It'll always come back to haunt you later on.