1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help and Suggestion

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by MusGuy, Jan 13, 2001.

1. MusGuy

MusGuy LawnSite Member

I have a Ford f250..... 1986, great rebuilt 351, great man tranny....

has a 8 foot meyer that chews up snow great....

One prob, can not get the tires to bite....
    I have 600 lbs in the back, not enough?

The one problem I believe I have is I have really lumpy tires.... big off road, mud tires... how do I get them to bite without getting new tires, and without chains... Illegal in my state....

Your help would be appreciated
  2. senor plow

senor plow LawnSite Member

I have the same problem as you. I have a gmc jimmy full size with a 350. I have 33inch 12.5 inch wide big mud offroad tires too. I can not get any decent traction. I put 5 -60 pound bags of tube sand in the back. Then I added a 50 pound bag of sand. I have my full size spare tire back there which is like another 60 pounds. Tried that and still was spinning around doing driveways. 2 days ago , I added 100 pounds of free weights from my home gym. Then I added about 120 pounds of rocks. I have yet to try this in the snow yet. have thousands of pounds more of rocks if needbe. I think the smartest thing is to get thinner tires
  3. Alan

Alan Member

Shed the wide mud boots and get some narrow SNOW tires. If you're running 16" tires try something in the 245/75 or 235/85 with a snow tread. If you don't need a lot of carrying capacity, go with Cooper Weathermaster in 245/75-16. If you need to carry heavy, look at the Cooper CTD in 235/85-16. In snow you need to get the bite down to the ground, not flotation that mud tires are made for. Also, most mud tires do not ahve really good designs with the tread oriented properly to grab on snow. Also, the big blocks of tread on most mud tires just can't get through packed snow.
  4. senor plow

Ok, I CAN'T afford to switch my tires right now. Unless you know a cheap way of doing it. I don't want to change them out myself. What else can I do to get better traction. I have already added about 5-600 pounds of weight so far
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Chains. Or used SNOW tires.
  6. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

i used to have that prob. on an 87 gmc jimmy i used to have. so i would take off the 33x12.50R 15" remington wide brutes on alloys in the winter and put on a set of 31x10.50 R15" yokohama super diggers studded on cheap steel wheels i painted to match the truck. i had those tires for four winters on two different trucks and they plowed great! the 33 gallons of gas the 87 jimmy held was plenty of weight. that was 14 yrs. ago, now i know that narrow will give more traction. but i still don`t like the way narrow tires look on jimmys,blazers & bronkos.
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

SIPE them.

Discount Tire will sipe those tires for $8 each and that will greatly improve your traction especially with a mud tire.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you cant afford to change tires now-how could you afford to operate at all.You know what you need to do,buy tires,or slide around,maybe you'll burn up a tranny or spider gears in the rear because your spinning so much.Dont say we didnt warn you.there has to be a wrecking yard around you,even used 1/2 worn snow tires are better than what you've got.My trucks never spin a tire,unless i do something stupid or try.I like the cooper dicoverer M/S,and the goodyear wrangler GSA's i have on the 3/4 ton are good for the money,they are E rated too.The only other thing is more weight,when i have a yard of sand in the spreader,I could plow in 2wd about 3/4 of the time if i had to.I bet you could put at least another 600-1000 lbs easily since you have an F250.It couldnt hurt.
  9. senor plow

Is siping something done only by discount tires or do most tire places perfomr siping.?
  10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Oh, I'm sure many places do it. Discount Tire is just one of the larger tire retailers nationwide, thought you might have one nearby.

And they do siping for cheap ($8)

Call around, especially the industrial suppliers. Most won't offer siping but someone nearby should.