NEED HELP - Bad Advice on Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jayfromva, May 23, 2008.

1. jayfromva

jayfromva LawnSite Member
    from NC

Any advice is welcome...
    I put the Scotts® Turf Builder® with Plus 2® Weed Control in my yard under some bad advice (and not being so smart about lawns myself).

My yard is NEW, the builder just put down some seeds and hay earlier this month. I have buds of grass and dead spots where there is no grass.
    A friend of mine saw AFTER what I put down and told me that it would KILL my lawn because the grass was so new.
    And I asked if I could just lay more seeds down and my friend told me the Turf Builder may treat the new growth like a weed and kill it.

Is there anything I can do to save my yard?

Neutralize the turf builder?

PS MY WIFE IS GOING TO KILL ME.....Please help!!!

Thanks,

Jayfromva

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

By definition, what you applied is a combination product very commonly called in the professional industry, a "weed & feed".
    Weed & feeds normally don't harm well established turf....but yes, if the seed was at a critical point in it's germination / early growth stages, you may very well have done some harm.
    Depends on how well the seed had matured before you applied the Scotts stuff.

You said the lawn was seeded "earlier this month".
    Can you post a couple of pics on this site so we can see exactly what you're dealing with...as far as the actual point of 'maturity' of this new grass ?

Many homeowners interchange the lawn care terms "weed & feed" and "pre-emergent" like they're one in the same....but, they're NOT.

Pre-emergents are often ALSO combination products (meaning they can come with fertilizer) but in this case it'll show up as a product that is marketed exclusively as a "crabgrass & grassy weed preventer".

The "Plus 2" in your description clued me in that you're talking about a Scotts product that has a selective herbicide for broadleaves; of which 2,4-d is usually a key ingredient.

Thus..I believe you applied a product that has fert + broadleaf control.
    ....and NOT a seed pre-emergent.

So I think maybe there's some HOPE for it yet !
    The roots, if they managed to mature enough in 3 weeks or so, may be able to take that dose of weed control.
    Any pics you post should tell the tale.

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

When you go to re-seed, which is what you're going to wind up doing anyway, use a "starter fertilizer" if you want to get it to come up faster.

And for God's sake, READ THE BAG'S DIRECTIONS. ON EVERYTHING YOU PUT ON YOUR LAWN.

Sorry for yelling. Most people just don't bother to read anymore. It irks me.

If where you're buying from says that they don't have starter fertilizer, look for somewhere else to shop.
    Usually, independent (read: NOT Home Depot or Lowes) lawn & garden shops carry it for their customers.