Need Help/ Best price on Blade sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Tired of spending my time behind a file. I need to know where I can get the best price on a blade sharpener.

Also, what type (model) is the best to buy for someone who doesnt do many blades (6 blades a week), and on a tight budget. I use 18" blades (high lift, and gators)

Thanks in advance!
    Jim

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Magna-Matic makes great sharpeners. Not sure if this type of higher sharpening production machine fits into your budget though.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i have super deals on magna matics and have a few rgb trade-ins!

in fact.......

demo mag9000 $495 shipped

used rgb, new wheel $215 shipped

deals on new magna-matics click below......

click here to view

4. i will say if you want a dedicated blade grinder get the magna it is by far the best .
    We just got one and its much better then the rbg that we had.
    Magna get the angle right every time and the base has a cut off edge to help you get the right angle

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Wall BG-121 and it does a fine job. It was hands above what I was using, a 4-1/2" angle grinder. It would be a vast improvement over a file. It was around $350 new I believe. Capt. Devo (see above) has some used ones for sale. Just as soon as I wear this one out I may demo a MagnaMatic. We'll see.

6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I know that most everyone will say that a dedicated blade grinder would bve best, and I would have to agree.
    But, if you are on a budget, as I was when I got frustrated paying the local mower establishment $3-5 per blade to sharpen them, I went to Home Depot and got a Delta Bench grinder for about $70. It does a fine job for me, admittedly probably not quiet as fast or truely accurate as a dedicated one, but I have no complaints. One thing, if you do get a bench grinder, get one with a two way adjustable fence, meaning it can be adjusted to slide in or out away from the wheel, as well as the seperate guide plate being able to pivot so you can adjust your sharpening angle. Put a new blade in and adjust it up so that you would be getting the same angle as the new blade, and go to town. I do about 26 blades a week and this has worked and saved me alot of money for a few years now.

7. Jimbo

captdevo-

I am interested in your used models. Let me check the new price sheets I have and I will get back with you...probably tonight. Do you have pics? Send me a message if you do.

Odin00- I hear you, but what about used RBG for $215 shipped. If you were not lookng to spend alot would you go for it?

I really am border line about buying a bench grinder but I really want a dedicated machine. Nothing on E-bay at the moment.

Jim

8. jimbo

yeah if i was on a tight budget and needed a good grinder rbg would do .
    The rbg is a good grinder much better than a bench grinder.
    The rbg grinder we had was the 3410 3/4 horse one and it is a good one to.
    But also another way of looking at it that 215 is almost half of a brand new magna matic 9000.

But i certainly understand your point a good used one is better then a bench grinder thats for sure.

And when the you need new grinding wheels for thr rbg they are fairly easy to get

9. Jimbo

odin00- One more question. Is the RBG alot louder than the Magna since it is metal where the blade slides vs plastic/ composite on the Magna?

10. jimbo

The rbg is a lot louder then the magna or at least the model of rbg we have is and the rbg weighs a ton to