Need Help Bidding Commercial Property

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Neals, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Neals

Neals LawnSite Member

Anyone having advice on bidding for the following? Something I should stay away from or go for it. Going to bid on commercial properties, First Celluar Telephone has repeater towers located all over southern Illinois, approximately 80 towers, ranging from one to four acres each. Haven't recieved the specific's from Frist Cellular, they are in the mail. Anyone having done business with situations such as this would be appreciated.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

He used to work for the biggest outfit in our area and that was what he did. The contract was for NYSEG Sub-Stations and he could better tell you about the potential for profitablity.

Kris

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Kris..thanks for the nudge...:)...

Neals...do not know too much on the pricing side of what we did, but do know that we had two different crews going out to do them...a lot were out in the sticks and needed brushhogging just to beat it down...others were in town and needed a weekly finish cut. We also had corporate headquarters and offices so the lump sum I know is including those as well. It was also almost 10 years ago now. I would say be wary, but definitely give it a shot...make sure you look at mileage as they aren't gonna be close together and bid the work as you would any open space and if they are postage stamp size incorporate a stop fee. They are probably just gonna want a lump sum price as opposed to a breakdown by location. (Around here I can get $40-45/acre if it's wide open.) We could fly thru these substationss and appearance didn't really matter to them as long as the grass was cut. Also...if it was a rain day and we couldn't get out to do residentials then we always had a road trip to do the substations. I would say all the substations were in a 60 mile radius of the shop. The nice thing about them was all were unfertilized so in the summer most could be skipped for weeks at a time and we still got paid for them.

4. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I am also involved with a contract like yours. The first thing I would do is get the locations and create a route. Drive them your self and keep tract of mileage and time. Remember you cant't drive as fast with your trailer as you can with your truck. Account for more fuel consuption in your vehilcles. If you have a crew do it. take time for "snack breaks". Also bid it at a multi year contract. Take into consideration the amount of mowings needed in a wet year and also a dry year. Here is the best advice. Talk to the man incharge. Explain to him your game plan and any miscommunications that may come up.

5. Neals

Neals LawnSite Member

I am very thankful for the help so far. More info. I've I found out that there are about 20 to 22 counties in Southern Illinois that have the telephone subsations, all over the place. So bidding them, ?? Have to be careful on how I do it, because of the distance between them. Would have to consider routing them to make it worth while. I'm not sure if they are bid separately according to different area locations or all lumped together. Can't wait to get their specification sheet on them.

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you think they will slit up the work you may be able to hire an extra crew to cover say 5-6 counties. Then submit your proposal as an hourly estimate with $X minimum. I would not advise say 3-4 crews to cover everything unless they are going to pre-pay for the service. As an after thought you could possibly check with some other contractors you know in the area, and see if maybe they know someone in another county that could sub the work out from you.

Just my .02
    Kris

7. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Sub-contract some of the locations out to a contractor or two that live closer. Pay them 90% you keep 10% and only do the paper work and check up some to make sure the work is done to your liking. Don't hire fly-by-nighters and you'll be happy. 10% with very little overhead is nice.

8. I would figure a two man crew with two 48" walkbehinds with stand on sulkys and a 21" trim mower in a maxi van with a ramp gate. This way every thing is enclosed and secure when you staying overnite at all those cheap hot pillow motels.

9. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

Even those love-o-matic hotels are at least $50.00 a pop. So I've heard. I'd much rather cuddle up to my Turf Tracer than bear to think about what had happened in the bed I was sleeping in the night before.