Need help bidding on entranceway annual color

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Craig Turf Management, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I think I want to plant flats of cell packs. What size plants do you prefer to plant?(count per flat) And depending upon your answer, what is the proper spacing between plants.
    I will be planting pansies this fall, with tulip bulbs planted in between. I'm thinking of vinca for the spring.
    I would like to submit this bid on Friday evening. I have prices for all other landscape maintenance concerns nailed down.

Thanks in advance for you help. Bill Craig

2. Bluegrass Group

Bluegrass Group LawnSite Member

Forget the cell packs, expecially for pansies. Use 4"/ 18 per flat. Pansies will grow until the temp. drops then they will stop. If you use bigger plants they will fill in faster before winter hits. I do them at 8" from center to center. I wouldn't go further. Any areas that don't get a chance to fill in with pansies will fill in with chickweed and henbit in late winter.

3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Bluegrass,

Thank you for the advice. Good point about the henbit & chickweed. I think I will check on price/availability on the larger plants.
    Do you apply any pre emergence herbicide, or just pull weeds? I plan to mulch with pine bark mini-nuggets.
    Thank yoy, Bill Craig