Need help bidding parking lot

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gardenkeeper88, Feb 7, 2006.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Customer just asked me extend thier parking lot another 10 feet. How much stone in tons would I need? (landscaping we figure 1 ton per 100 SF) 2" deep. 200' would be crushed limestone. 200' along another side would be matching up with drainage area and using 2.5" stone. I thought 50 ton. Also could the laying of the stone be done in 15 hours or less with a bobcat? The stone woud be dumped at 1 end of the lot So the last of it will be moved about 200'.
    Thanks this is the first time for this.
  2. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

do you have to tear up any existing lawn or whatnot to extend the driveway?
    is the area to be extended 200 ft x 10 ft x 2in. ? that would be 12.5 cubic yds of space to be filled with stone. I dont know the weight to volume convertions for crushed limestone, but for 1/2 stone (regular stone i guess) is 1.33 tons per cubic yard. so using 1/2 stone ate 12.5 cubic yds = 16.5 tons of stone. if the crushed limestone is smaller than 1/2 in stone than the weight would be greater per cubic yard, larger than 1/2 in stone, weight would be less per cubic yard.
    also, you should definatly be able to spread the stone in less than 15 hours, more like 2 hours max, in an hour if your good with a bobcat.

not sure about the costs of crushed limestone, 1/2 stone runs me $15 a ton i think
    you'll have to run your own math if my volume calculations were correct
  3. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

First off, Thank You VERY much "Cut Right".
    As far as any prep work I can Figure that as I have removed, leveled, And such for various projects. Just have never done parking lot work and all stone we move is usually w/ a wheel barrel. This give me a starting point. I will bid between what I figured (25 ton / 200SF) and your 16 ton. Time kinda blows my mind. I don't drive a bobcat enough (2-3 times a year) to say i'm good, But i'm not a jerky Rookie either LOL. your 2 hour figure is that for the 200 SF (16 ton)?
    This company has been a customer of mine for 5 years and are always happy with our results. They never get any other bids, so I can bid a little high to begin with. They know that I will be honest with them. If i'm way off I will adjust it on the bill. I have done that with other customers that I was way high and they always like that rather than adding on cause too low bid. Keeps them calling me back.
    Again Thanks