Need help bidding walking trail.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gorilla, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla LawnSite Member

I need help on bidding a 2.3 mile walking trail with 4 feet of grass on each side of the paved path.It also has two 1/2 acre open areas that also needs mowed.All limbs at head level must be trimmed and the trash hauled from the eight trash cans wekly.And trimming around all park benches and other items on the side of the trail.This contract is a rebid because the last guy bid 8000 yearly,and of course noone can do it for that price an still stay in business.
    I have never bid on any city work because of the lowball prices the contracts
    gets.I was contacted by the person that rewards the bids to companys and asked to give a bid on the job.They say that they will be taking a middle bid for the job instead of the lowest.I am near Charlotte N.C..
    Any advice on the bid. Thanks guys!
  2. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

8 trash cans on a 2.3 mile stretch emptied weekly? Sounds like picking up trash is gonna suck. Is the trail wide enough to drive on?
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Without seeing it it will be nearly impossible for someone to really help you and even then it would need to be someone from NC cause the prices in the North, West and further South are all different from here. Plus,I don't see why you need help bidding on this. Your profile says that you have been in business 12 years, you know the last bid that won it, it seems a very simple and straight forward bid. Heck I could have given him price within a couple of hours after walking the area and you should be able to also given the afore mentioned.
  4. Gorilla

Gorilla LawnSite Member

The last bid was for 8000 yearly.The company couldn't handle the job for the price.I just went out today and took a walking tour of the site.You are right I can come up with a bid after I walked the site.I was just trying to get some ideas on what other companies might bid.My bid will be more then double the current bid.But I do this for aliving not for a hobby. Thanks alot
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

As long as there are no fence posts along the trail on each side, the mowing should be simple. You are talking about roughly a little over 3 acres of mowing in total. A 48 or 52" Z or Stander could make one pass down and one up the path in under 30-35 minutes easily with no obstructions or trimming. Add in the extra time to trim around the benches, etc. That is unknown to the rest of us.... I would send 2 men to do this account. One to mow, the other to follow and change the trash and blow the path as needed. The first guy could mow all areas then go back with the trimmer behind the second guy, who would also trim coming back up the other side after the trash detail.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I would think that $16K would be high, esp if as Impact mentioned there are no fences to trim around then the actual cutting should be a breeze.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

mowing, edging, wacking, blowing, fertilizing Are all needed?

What quantity of trash are we talking about?
    How much needs to be picked up prior to mowing?

Can you mow when you want or do you have to do it at 5:30 AM or after 8:30 PM?

IMO the mowing will be the easiest part. Avoiding path users probably the hardest.
  8. Gorilla

Gorilla LawnSite Member

You must also trim the limbs that over hang the trail or grows into the cutting path. I didn't give you enough information on the bid site.
    There is also three small bridges that must be cleaned after each rain storm.
    The trail is built in a flood zone, so I will be removing alot of sand and junk.
    Sorry guys for asking for help an not giving you enough information to give me a good answer. Thanks for your help.