Need help bidding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SJacobs, Jun 19, 2005.

1. SJacobs

SJacobs LawnSite Member

OK. I've never really done this by myself. What i need to know is how to bid on tilling, delivering, and putting down grass. The guy wants st. augustine down. His lawn is already all dead by chemlawn. So he wants me to till it up first and then lay the grass down. His yard totals ~2422 sq ft. What should I charge for this guy and how much do you all think grass would cost? I would call some places, but theyre kind of closed right now. Thanks

2. SJacobs

SJacobs LawnSite Member

come on surely someone can help me. i would really like to take on this job and get experience.

3. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

The best way to get experience on something you know nothing about is to research it then practice at your house or a friend or family member. A paying cst is not a practice run. On bidding, until you get good at it: anticipated time + materials plus at least 10-15% is a good rule to follow.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Flat and square, easy access to sod...total job including material and dump fee $2200.00 for me to do it.

Based on Sod @ $150.00 a pallet. 50 sq. yds.= $795.00
    100.00 per pallet to lay 5.3 x 100.00 = $530.00
    Ground prep...final by hand.............$600.00
    Sod delivery..................................$100.00
    Fert............................................$10.00
    Dump fee......................................$75.00
    Soil test........................................$25.00
    Round up.......................................$65.00

customer waters :D

5. SJacobs

SJacobs LawnSite Member

what do you have a dump fee for? and why do you have a round up fee? the lawn is already dead pretty much just dirt there.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sorry....round up as in rounding the total up...not the chemical round up.

Dump fee is for the trash that will surface when you break up the ground. If it was grass before....you will have some old dead clumps of grass to rake out.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

just bring in some topsoil and peat moss , level it and lay the sod... I'd charge 1811 for it. It shouldnt really cost you more then 400 for all the materials and labor for a helper and shouldnt take you more then 4hours if you have everything with you when you pull up at 7:30am...

but tell him 2200 and see what he says.

but again depending on the serverity of the existing lawn, you might have to do the till, soil test, and all that good stuff inbetween..... but if there is an existing lawn, dont till it, get a sod cutter.