need help building a website

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirt Digger2, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

hey guys...i want a website for my farm service...the only problem is i am completely illiterate when it comes to html and all that funky computer stuff...i mean the only reason i passed my computer programming class here in school is because my buddy put my name on the top of his homework.

i know i can go to godaddy.com and buy a domain name, but after that i have no idea. I don't know how to design one, i don't know how to link it all to the domain name...nothing.

on the site i want a few different links, one to go to services, one to pictures, one to contact information, etc... so i could use some pointers....i have access to dreamweaver here at school and i know there are a few free website design tools out there, i just don't know how to use them....no i don't want to pay someone to do this for me...haha

i see some of you guys have pretty decent websites, so can you help me out any? i want something simple like bobcat_rons triplebexcavating website...nothing fancy

-bryan

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Bryan go back to the home page of Lawnsite here and down a few space there is Website Dicussion Forum.

You will found a bunch of information there ,plus better place learn to build site there.But for a site that fits more into the heavy equipment and work stuff there might be some one here better suited to help on the design here.

Brain Hays might be the guy here to talk too.

It sounds like you got most of what you will need ,just a little help.There was some guys that was doing it on the side on the other forum ,that seemed reasonable. I have PM Raven and he helped me by answering some question.

I'm sure others can help here soon.Good luck:usflag:

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i looked in there a little...but it seems nobody ever goes in that forum so i posted in here...when i have more time i will search around that forum....i didnt know there was any other forums on here besides the heavy equipment forum..haha

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

DirtDigger.......have have recently put together a website. I am computer illiterate, so what I chose to do is find a local designer/provider and they put it altogether for me. I tweek it and am continually tweeking it. I have found the experience of having a local guy do it is far better for me because they come to my home, I can draw out what I want on paper, have them do layout right there.......all that stuff. That worked out better for me to have the personal contact. I paid $1,500 for the domain name, development of the site, maintenance of the site, all the upgrades......I have been way happy and it is, in my opinion, a necessary tool.

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Take a look at Yahoo's Sitebuilder... built my website with it...

6. RockSet N' Grade

Raven386....I looked at your site. You have added a nice "hook" by having a page set up for "Pets"....that was/is a very smart idea......

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thank you, I cannot take credit for it though. I got the idea from a friend. Thanks though! I need to update that page again...I already had a few people want to add pictures of their pets so...

8. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

9. Brian Hay

Brian Hay LawnSite Member

Hi Bryan
    When I started putting my website together not long ago I was the same as you. I had no idea what I was doing. I found these guys canadianwebhosting.com and used what they offer to build my site. They have something for everyone, from guys like us that are just learning to people that can create their own site from scratch. And their tech support is second to none. Any time I have troubles they answer my emails right away and they also have an 800 number for support. I use the site builder and cpanel. I made all the main pages for my business using site build and the other software I installed through Fantastico in Cpanel. The site build option will get you going no prob for what you want, and it doesn't cost very much. There are a ton of templates to choose from and then you just add your info to the template. If I can help out in any way I would be happy to :) good luck with it

10. RockSet N' Grade

I found out an interesting statistic the other day that is important for those with a website. Be sure to include "customer references" written by your customers. A website/contractor that has these on their site can land a job and make 10% - 20% higher money than a contractor that does not have "customer references".