Need help building leaf box on flatbed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 22, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Help! hey guys i have the 8x12' flatbed on my truck and of course it has the stake pockets. I want to make 4' high box on it of plywood that will have a mesh tarp on the top. I might only make it 10' long so there is room for other things to be on the truck bed in the front portion of the bed. How could i make it so it could come off and on easily with a couple guys, but that it would still be very sturdy? Would it be good enough just sitting in the stake pockets or would it have too much slop that way?
    Thanks,

2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We built the sides up on the 2x4's out of 2x12's
    then the front is its own panel screwed in from the sides with lag bolts.
    Then maybe 2 feet up in the back, and a couple of 2x4's supporting the sides across the top.
    We had a custom tarp made with extra supports at the corners and around where the blower blows in. The tarp hangs down to the floor in the back and maybe overlaps 2 feet on the other 3 sides

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Sounds great. Can you post a picture of that? if posting won't work maybe you could email it to me eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz
    thank you,
    Eric

4. C&S Services

C&S Services LawnSite Member

Eric,
    My family built one years ago, so try this, Get the metal brackets that they use to attach wooded sides together on trailers (you can find then at Northerntool) make 3 panels out of 2x4's and 3/4 ply wood that fit into the pockets on your flat bed, use those brackets that interlock. Cut several 2x4's to fit tight across the top and use joist hangers from any hardware store a couple bolts w/ wing nuts to lock it down. If you make it study you should be able to build swing out doors that lock out to the sides. We built one just like this years ago and were able to use the dump bed without any problems. If you need more help (check your pm's) give me a call.

Clay

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, I make my boxes with the plywood on the inside and the 2x4's on the outside so it's easier to unload. I use plywood on the roof and screwnail everything together so it's pretty solid. I bolt eyelets into the 2x4's on the corners and use tiedown straps to hold it on the flatbed. This way it is easy to load and unload, I can easily do it myself. I cut airholes as needed in the top and sides for airflow. This way I can also use the box on my trucks or my trailer depending on the job requirements. I mount my loader in a 2"receiver on the front of my truck and blow over the cab into the box. This way it doesn't interfere with the trailer and I can just take the truck and use the headlights to load after dark. I'm pretty sure I put some pictures up here last year showing my latest truck. In the offseason you can use the leaf box for storage of your leaf equipment.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks guys. I know it's kinda small but i'm going with a 4' tall, 8' long 8' wide box. It will be full width of the bed, and only 2/3 the length. It won't be extremely tall but i want to keep wind resistance as low as i can. This box will hold just a hair under 10 yards, which is the same as last year's box on the white F250. That seemed sufficient to me. as for length, i want to have room to put a couple things on the truck bed. I think (unless i can find something better) i will be stuck with my little 5hp vac again this year. It's small but does the job if you don't get in a big hurry. So, I will just mount the vac right on the truck bed i think, either in the front (means you can't manually put stuff into the truck bed like down limbs and such because all the leaves will be against the door, although the advantage is if you're dumping a partial load the bulk of it will be toward the back) or on the back of the box which lets you open one door (will be a two door barn style setup) to put stuff in the box, or take the vac off to dump. It's not heavy since it's only 5hp. Then i will have room to put other misc. stuff in the truck bed if i want (hand tools and things).

Oh I just got back from Lowe's with all the supplies i hope! Just using 3/8" plywood on the sides to keep weight to a minimum. I have it all figured out how it will go together. Two guys can take it off in probably oh say 15 minutes or so with no tools. :) Making it 4x8x8 is also a whole lot easier to build since you just use 4 whole sheets of plywood, no cutting them or cutting extras for larger size....

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, I'm a little unsure why you are making it only 4' wide. Would it be better to make it the width of the truck and keep it right back to the hitch end of the truck then you could store your blower and other stuff against the front or the cab end? Then this stuff wouldn't be in your way to unload the box either.
    ps, I'm off to bed work comes soon.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

no it's 8' wide and 8' long. it will be 4' tall to keep wind resistance down and so i can still get through a couple low spots. I'll probably have it 2' from the rear and 2' from the front so i keep it close to the rear for dumping but far enough to the front to have room for the vac (which would be offset to one side so you can open one of the rear doors without taking off the vac)
    I'd put it on the front of the truck but thats too far for the little 5hp to push the debris.... maybe i can get a bigger one if the price is right.
    i'm off to bed. night all.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Does your truck dump? If not, it seeems like you just be better off to stand plywood up on end and make it 8' tall. This way, you can get in there and push the stuff off. Also, I like Clay's idea for the fasteners. I would have just thought that like Cantoo said, I would have just used long deck screws going into 2x4s on the inside along the ceiling going crossway (side to side) and along the front panel about midway down to the floor. The woodscrews would go in from the outside (grease them first). Then, when you wanted to take it off, you just disassemble it, and you have much less need for storage space for it.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Joe, Well i am kinda using Clay's idea along with some of my own. it will be quick removal. Bed does not dump. I have a homemade Load-Handler i built extra wide for this truck i will try to use it with the leaves (will make a lip to go toward the front of the bed to drag the leaves so it doesn't just slide out, this will bolt to the load handler).
    Weren't you the one that said you made your own for your flatbed? If so how does it work and can i have some pics and details? I was using solid round stock but it's not strong enough and it bows. I am going to have to rebuild it using thick square tube as the drum and using a heavier duty winch (gears stripped out on other one when the drum bowed). The new one should work great. If it seems like it struggles, I'll build a sloped floor for the leaf box to let gravity help a little. I am thinking about making the box longer, maybe 10' long or even 12' (full length). Then the vac has to mount somewhere though. Man i really need a bigger vac.. anyone got one for sale or know of one for sale? I need one desperately. can't afford anything too expensive, $800 is probably about the most i could go and i really would hurt to spend that right now. I found a 5hp Billy Goat push blower for $250 in like new shape i might get it to help with leaves. was thinking about another big b/p but that would cost twice as much and the push blower is still a tad bit more powerful. Last fall i rented a 5hp Billy Goat push and yeah it's not like a 10hp but it's plenty for anything i need to do i beleive.

But man i really need a vac!
    Thanks,
    Eric