Need Help Buying a 6.5 Western Plow

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by machine, Oct 30, 2000.

1. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

I am looking a 6.5 Western Unimount Plow mounted on a Dogde Dakota this morning. It has a key pad control and the plow is 1yr old used 3x last year. (so, thats 2yrs depreciated). His offer price is $1995. The plow mount will need to taken off the truck, either by me or him.(I don't Know yet). He did say the cost of a New one is $3500.

I would like to mount it on a 96 Ford Ranger or a 96 GMC Jimmy. Both are 4X4's.

Any suggestions and comments would be helpful, like the price you would pay.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I find it hard to believe a 6.5' Western Plow could cost $3500, but I haven't priced plows lately. The last plow I bought was 5 years ago, a 8' Western Pro and it was $2350 mounted. The last price I saw on this same plow was $2600 and the Western V plow was $3450. I do live closer to the Western Factory than you do though.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just took a look at Central Parts Warehouse. Here's their prices for reference purposes.

Western
    6-1/2' (78") (For SUV) List Price $3,338.00 Sell For $2,361.18 This doesn't include shipping, but proves the price you were told for a new one is VERY high. Even higher than the "list price".

~Chuck

4. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I'm buying a brand new Western MVP 8.5 foot Vee Plow for $3550 out the door, installed. Obviously, your plow should be <b>much</b> cheaper than mine. I agree with the above posts, shop around. Sometimes used costs nearly as much as new.

My opinion is if its new (no matter what<b>"it"</b> is), you aren't buying someone else's problems, unless it is a good deal, which offsets that risk.

Eric-

One would think proximity would matter. We were going to take the truck to Monroe right in Milwaukee and "dealer price" was slightly under $4000, and I do mean slightly.

The price of $3550 was regular, everday pricing. It is about a half hour drive from your service area. Email me if you are interested in knowing the location. They sell Western, Boss, and Meyer that I know of, possibly others.

[Edited by Greenman2ooo on 10-30-2000 at 06:43 PM]

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Could you email me with that info? I can't email you since yours isn't listed. Mine is plastered all over the forum and on my website. :)

I think I have an idea where you are talking about.

6. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

Thanks for the Input guys, I just purchased it for $1475 a litte more than my offer. I called around and got a bunch of quotes and everyone wanted 2900 to 3200 for a new 6.6 plow.

Although it is not the best time of year to buy a plow this one is one year old, looks band new, and was kept in a heated garage. No pits on the cylinders and no rust. Well I will keep you guys informed on how it will work out on a 96 Ranger. I might have to put air bags in the coils, cause the things weighs around 700lbs. It is my first Western, I have had Meyers' for years. I hope it work outs great. Just let it Snow. I am ready to go!

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Skip the air bags, and install load boosters.
    Dino

8. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

Well I installed the plow on the 96 Ranger. The load boosters worked out great, although they were expensive at $125 per kit. I will add an electric fan and maybe a salt spreader next. Thanks again.

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You wont need the electric fan, we had a 95 ranger with the 4.0 with a 6.5 fisher and the temp gauge needle never moved.