Need help buying an air gun

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JasonPC, Jun 7, 2001.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Hi, all. Well, I've finally decided to stop being so cheap and buy an air gun to remove my lawn mower blades on my machines. The blades are just almost impossible to get off by hand. I nearly broke my wrist last night trying to get them off my Husqvarna rider. So here's the question: how many psi does an air gun need to get blades off? There are so many different grades of air guns. Please help!

Also, what do you all suggest using to sharpen my blades?

Thanks a lot in advance...

2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same situation recently.

I bought a husky air ratchet 50 psi was stated on the package, this was from Home Depot.

I just put a clamp on the deck to ssecure the blade. Sprayed the nut several time with liquid wrench, nut came off okay.

Hope this helps.
  3. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Impact Wrenches are rated by foot pounds. The tough one most mechanics use is the 2131 by Ingersol Rand. This puts out about 400 foot pounds of torque. This would easily snap off the crank bolt if you used this wrench to put on a blade. I use my older, cheaper, (no-name brand) impact wrench which I picked up for $38 at Harbor Freight about 5 years ago. It puts out about 200 foot pounds of torque, can also be adjusted, and you can also regulate the air, to give you more flexibility. I suggest that you turn the wrench down low, and then keep turning it up until you the bolt is removed. Then you will have a baseline for next time.

I also just purchased a 12v impact wrench for $39 mailorder. I've used it a few times and it sure beats dragging around a compressor, hose, etc. It's not designed for constant use, but sure comes in handy. Also, just saw a Snap On cordless impact wrench (battery powered). I'm sure it's very expensive, but is probably very good.
  4. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

well, thanks for your info guys. I don't want to sound stupid here but i'm sure i will anyway....does an impact wrench require an air compressor? if not, how is it charged? also, do i need a 1/2", 3/4", or 1"? I'm confused! lol

thanks a lot!

5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

(don't ever worry about feeling stupid asking questions, that's how we all learn)
    You'll need an air compressor for the air impacts (1/2" drive should be plenty...I always used Ingersal-Rand (all had adjustable pressure) Alot of people use a 12V impact. Need to get one myself.
  6. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 120 volt Dewalt and a Mac both work great. These were gifts for Christmas (because i wanted the 12Volt). I just have to carry a drop cord. It works for me but would not be my first choice,but I aint going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
  7. I went and bought a electric 110-115 v impact wrench about 2 months ago. Check Harbor Freight or Northern (About $79.00)
    Used To Dread Blade Changes. Now Takes About 5 Minutes Max.:blob3:
  8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I have an electric Craftsman 1/2" impact gun that works great. It easily took off my blades.

A compressor is good for a lot of stuff, but if you don't have the cash to get a decent one, or don't have any other uses for it, then electric would be the way to go.

Good Luck!
  9. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

JasonPC - before you start buying a bunch of tools, I'd suggest taking trip to Home Depot or a good hardware store and tell the person in the tool department what you're wanting. With any air tool, you'll have to have an air compressor. An air compressor will be either gas powered or electric. I have a very small, cheap one and it cost over $200. If all you want it for is for one bolt, they should be able to show you a battery operated or electric. With a battery operated you'll need a charger specfic to that type of tool's battery - still much cheaper than an air compressor.

If you do much mechanical work or carpentry, you'll find a lot more tools and uses for the air compressor, though. Hope this helps.
  10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

cool thing for the air impact on the job ...with a portable 7 gal air tank .....full can switch blades quickly if needed ;->