Need help buying enclosed trailer.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mr.Mow-It-All, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

What are some basics I should look for, and options I should look for. I know prolly because of the doe, I will be looking at the 3500 axels, the 5000 I think are a lot more, aren't they? Anyway, what options do I need to look for. I know that I will pult racks of various sorts in it, but as far as from the trailer standpoint.

What are standard basics and what is ok to have, then what do I need to upgrade to.

Thanks
    Drew

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely get the extended tounge.

3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Don't know much about the extended tongue. I think mine is regular length and i don't have any problems. The thin luan walls are ok for me. I have square tubing in the walls which makes it easy to shoot a self tapping screw through. I painted the walls white to help with lighting. Get vents, probably two. I don't really need the gas door that some get. The white paint flaked off of my rims in no time (actually before i got it home) so consider aluminum. I have heard the flat tops are more durable, but don't know.

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm also looking at enclosed trailers, hopefully I will order one this week. I'm going to get the 5k axles for only about $200 more. I'm also getting the extended tongue, 2 fuel doors, led lights, bulldog coupler, d-rings, 2 side flow thru vents, dome lights.

I don't know everything there is to know about encolsed trailers, but I have learned a little over the past few weeks, talking to dealers, so I would be glad to try and help you if I can.

I'm trying to decide if I should get treated plywood on the floor (about $200) or leave it the way it comes, anyone have any thoughts on this.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I would skip the treated floor and get the interior Line-X'ed when you get the trailer. I did this to my last trailer (which is currently for sale) and it was well worth the money.

6. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Line-X sounds like a good idea, I've called to get a price on having this done, so far can't find anyone that wants to do it. I've got a few #'s that I'm going to call in the morning to see if I can get a price. What did your's cost if you don't mind me asking. I've read on here guys paying around $1200, sounds high, but I guess it would be worth it.

btw, do you have any pics of your trailer?

7. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I thought of a couple other options I'm planning to get on my trailer. Rubber torsion axles, 3/8 plywood sidewalls, 3/4 kickplate on side walls, 36" side door.

Hope this helps in your decision.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I like the V-nose up front. With a single piece aluminum roof, LED lights are nice, and the trailer should come with some sort of vent.

Radial tires make a difference (you won't get flat spots from sitting idle) too.

The last big thing is look over the whole construction of the trailer, there is a lot of crap out there and if you see ugly welds or doors with bad seals just walk a way.

Check www.cargomatetrailer.com Thats what I use and they are quality built, at a decent price.

9. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

you may also want to consider what the framing under the floor consists of. the floor of my enclosed has one foot on center beams. some trailers only come with 2 foot on center beams. the closer they are together the stronger the floor would be. definatly check into that. mowers are heavy and can cause the floor to deteriorate if the floors are only framed 2 feet on center

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Good one.

Also remember small trailers are boxed frames and larger ones use I beams.

Stay away from any C channel stuff.