need help buying mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ridnwild, Apr 7, 2004.

1. ridnwild

ridnwild LawnSite Member

I've look all over the web & this is by far the most informative site I’ve found but after all the reading I still haven’t answered my own question. So I thought I would ask the pros. I am a homeowner with 3 &1/2 acres of flat level ground. I’m going to buy a ztr mower mostly for the time cutting. My question is should I buy a homeowner grade mower like Toro, Simplicity, etc. or spend 1500 –2000 more & get a commercial grade mower? I do not plan on mowing commercially but I will be mowing my Mothers yard (she has about the same acreage). I would rather spend the extra money now than have to work on it later. Would it be worth the extra or is homeowner grade good enough for what I have to mow? If it’s worth the extra what mower would you suggest?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

If you can afford it, go commercial. 7 acres per week is not necessarily you average homeowner usage. What else do you pan to do on properties? If money is not a great concern, consider a sub-compact tractor. You can do many projects.

3. ridnwild

ridnwild LawnSite Member

Right now all I want to do is cut the grass in as little time as I can so I'll have more time with family & hobbies. The price looks good on the homeowner models but I'm worried about reliabilty & speed.
    What brand would you suggest in either category there are so many to choose from? I've looked at kubota & ferris & was impressed with both. I liked the hydraulic deck on the kubota & the suspension on the ferris. One of the threads I read said if problems occur with hydraulic deck & drive shaft on the kubota it is much more expensive to fix. Are problems with the kubota common?