Need Help Choose A New Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by a+elawnserviceww, Dec 10, 2005.

1. a+elawnserviceww

a+elawnserviceww LawnSite Member
    from nj

hi
    I am look into get a 32 inch mower because the lawn i cut have most 32 inch gates. i was looking at the wright stander 32 inch because of one man reason it the only lawnmower i know in 32inch width with hydrO have a few question if you own or operated one.any a comment you want for each question. Can you give a rating 1 to 10 1 be a pess of junk 10 be great?

I have a 32 Toro belt drive if you can compare it to that

1) How easy is it to use?

2) Does you tear up a lawn easy when wet. and how baD?

3 )Does it tear up a lawn easily when rain?

4) How wet does your lawn to be to start get stuck in it. You do not have to answer if this question bother you. if you do not mined ask what is about the wight of operator on the machine?

5 )How is the cut in dry grass?

6 )How is the cut in wet grass?

7) How ealsy is to get a parts?

8 )How long does it take to get parts?

9) How is the company to deal with?

10)Is there one or some part that break or wear out VERY easily or fast?

12) How much absey have you put your mower throw how did it hold up?

13) How deponable is this mower?

14) How much do you use this mower?

Can you tell what you like or DISLIKE about this mower, even if it sound selly let me know please.
    You can add any question to my list, that you would have ask if yo were look into this mower. I like that very much

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

What can I say they are great machines. It took me a little getting used to when I first got them. They cut great and are built very well/very dependable. I have a great dealer so I could get parts in next day but the machines were rarely in the shop at all. The only reason I sold them is because I needed the money. I have made it thought deep mud and muck with only minimal tire slip, although you can get stuck fast if not careful. I have used these 2 machines for 1 1/2 years and loved them, I'm in the process of buying one new in a year or so.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

whats wrong with your toro32? using a mower this small you arnt going to get done any faster with a mower that cost 2x what the toro costs. the 32 toro is a fast mower for this size group. i dont think you will gain anything by spending a bundle for another mower of this same size.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know the specs on the wrights but im sure they have faster ground speeds than the toro walkbehind and maneuverability is higher with a stander, so overall i think they would be faster. efficiency as 80% is 1.65 acres per hour with the 32 toro wb gear and 2.13 with the 32 stander if the ground speed is 8 like on the larger deck sizes. that's 22.5% faster and that's not taking into account maneuverability. so 30% maybe. it'd be worth the extra money to me.

5. lawnboy dan

i disagree- the toro 32 is just as maneuverable and the newer version w5/speeds is almost like having hydro drive. its also much lighter and lots eaiser on the turf if wet.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have experience with both hydro- and belt-drive mowers, and this is how it shapes up for me.

Hydro drive mowers are cheaper, no doubt, and they do not suffer in comparisons on quality of cut. On the other hand, hydros are much less work and operator fatigue is an issue, no matter what you young bucks say. Macho is all good and well, but by COB Friday in the dead of August, you cannot tell me that you are not feeling pretty wiped out.

Hydros are enormously more maneuverable. This, to me, is utterly beyond argument, and nobody with experience with both kinds of mowers would bother to argue. I have an eXmark TTHP 52/19 and it is easier to maneuver than my eXmark Metro 21. That really pretty much says all there is to say.

And finally, anyone who has ever managed to run a belt-drive mower nose first into a low spot knows good and well what a nucking fightmare it is to get the thing back out. This is not a problem with hydro drives. With a hydro, reverse gear means reverse gear. It does not mean reverse with me busting my hump to pull the lug out of a low spot. Yes, my eXmark Metro 36 weighs only 400 lbs. compared to the TTHP at 700 lbs., but there is still no comparison for this kind of thing. I challenge anyone on this site to dead lift a 400-lb. mower that gets stuck in a ditch. It just aint gonna happen.

I won't bother to describe the performance difference when the belts on belt-drive mowers get wet.

The real debate is this: If your route includes mostly very flat yards with few nooks and crannies, a belt-drive mower might be a good purchase if you don't mind being dog-tired all the time. If you're a masochist, go belt. If you are a business operator with more than half a dozen working brain cells and can afford it, go hydro.

8. uspw

uspw LawnSite Member

This man speaks the truth:waving: .

9. a+elawnserviceww

a+elawnserviceww LawnSite Member
    from nj

Because If The Belt Get A Little Wet The Mower Does Not Want To Move. That The Mean Other Than That Love My Toro

10. lawnboy dan

me too! -they have minimuzed this problem on the newer models-my 2004 model goes fine in wet but my 93 -forget it