Need Help choosing lawn mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WeedWhackers, May 7, 2007.

1. WeedWhackers

WeedWhackers LawnSite Member

I need help choosing a lawn mower. I am new to the business and am trying to pick the right one. I am mainly gonna be cutting small yards 3/4 acre and less, but mainly less then 1/2 acre. I am thinking about the Hustler Mini-Z 52 or the Everride Hornet 52. Let me know which one I should choose or any other model I need to look at. Also looked at the Everride scorpion, which is a stand up mower. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Mainly less than 1/2 acre, with occasional 3/4 acre lot, that's not a bad size.

You could even go 48" and you'd have the smaller size for tight spots, but you're only talking a 4" difference in width so the productivity isn't going to suffer much.

Or if hills are going to be an issue, look at a walk behind. The standers get high marks for productivity but I wouldn't buy anything but a Wright, Great Dane or Gravely, JMO.

What dealers are in your area? You'll want to be able to get parts fast and easily if needed. Demo if you can.
  3. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

Seeing as you are new to this business, I would start out with a USED walk-behind commercial unit (exmark, scag. etc...). This will let you get into the business without having to take out a loan for new equipment. You will quickly earn back the money you spent on a used mower, where as you maybe paying for 2-3 years on a new mower.

I still today buy used mowers (1 or 2 years old) from individuals because of the amount of money I save by not having to pay sales tax and of course the MSRP.
  4. WeedWhackers

WeedWhackers LawnSite Member

I bought the Everride Hornet 48" with the Kawasaki 19hp. It is a great machine. Nice cuts even at high speeds.