Need help choosing skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by caremuerto, Jun 4, 2006.

1. caremuerto

caremuerto LawnSite Member

Hi,

I run a road construction company in Colombia, we own several excavator, buldozers etc. But recently we began urban projects and are looking for smaller machines, I need to decide on a skid steer. Due to the few dealers here the only two options would be either a Bobcat s185 (or s175) or a Cat 236B. They would be used for loading dirt, pavement demolition and unloading paving stones, etc. PLease let me know your opinions.

Juan Rivera

2. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I believe either of those two machines will do the job. It depends a bit on your operators preferences. I prefer the Cat for the pilot controls and service/support is better here but thats for you to determine.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Hi Juan, welcome to the site! I've said before that it's nice to see such a broad base of users, but I never imagined the international appeal!

As far as your situation goes, I think the more productive machine is the Cat (Cat does use more fuel), but do note two things:

1) The 236B can't really compete with the Bobcat, as it has an arc-style lift arm.
    2) Dealer support is sometimes more important than the machine itself.

I would suggest trying out each machine first -- just to get a feel for which one feels more comfortable in operation.

Let us know what else we can do for you -- and great to have you aboard!

4. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I might be bias but I think a 236B would be great. Having used both I prefer Cat...but like the others have said if the Bobcat dealer is great and the Cat dealer is bad..then I'd go Bobcat.

[​IMG]