Need Help Choosing The Right Tool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bruce, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have an account that has a steep side hill.About a 75 to 80% slope. I have been using a string trimmer.But its taking to long. Was thinking about buying a Exmark 48in walk behind. If so what would be better hydro or gear drive. Or any other suggestions. thanks,Bruce

2. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I run a scag 48 belt drive 14 horse Kaw motor and it barely slips in a rainstorm. Hydros are about double the money and more money in the shop. I have no complaints about belt drives

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Bruce,

How much ground you cutting and is it pure grass or mixed weeds? What is the size and how long does it take to cut? What type of trimmer and attachment do you use?

I have been doing a similar job for around 2 years with a trimmer. The slope I am woking on is about 60-degrees. Your slope of 70-80 seems quite step (remember 90-degrees would be stright up).

Anyway if you can elaborate maybe I could tell if my setup would work. I really can't imagine going steeper than 60-65 degrees with a motorized cutter.

4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I dont think any mower will work on a 75 degree hill... it would be hard even to stand on a 75 degree hill. Right?

5. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

Wow 90 degrees is straight up and down in stead of a lawn mower maybe you need a mountain goat!;)

6. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on how much you have to cut one of these hover mowers might be the ticket for you. Husky makes one but I'm not sure of the price on them. It looks like a pretty simple machine. Not sure if something like this would work for you but it's worth checking into as I think one can be bought for less than $500.00

Good Luck,
    Mowman

7. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

The hover mower is a good idea. We boought a used one at an auction for a golf course. paid $50.00 for it. My buddy thought I was nuts he asked why I bought it, I said it was neat and wanted to try it. Took it back to the shop tuned it up and sharpened the blade and we were good to go. It sat for about 6 months and then my buddy asked what I did with it, told him nothing yet still sitting in the garage. Then the call came in. one of the apartment complexes we take care of called and told us that they were told to cut the grass down in 2 water retention areas on the site. Both of wich were about 200' x 200' and 12' deep. Put a laborer there for a day the mower cut the side slopes (about 60 degrees) and the about half of the bottom some of the area in the bottom was dry enogh to use a 36" WB and the areas that were soft and wet we used the hover mower. Now we are under contract to perform this service 3 times a year. Now I just hope I can find another auction to buy 1 or 2 more of these mowers. I did look into them new and they cost around $1300.00.

8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

push mower? if a smaller area.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if u really have an 80 degree hill ,i would suggest puttin electric fence and some goats on it. u can really get hurt bad on something like that.that sounds more like a cliff than a hill. luck to u now. oops sorry thought it was your place. still not a bad idea.

10. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

a 100% slope is 45 degrees