Need help converting quickbooks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Branchland, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My old computer crashed for the last time. Couldn't even get it to boot up. So I went and got a new computer the other day. Well I've been backing up my quickbooks on a floppy disk. My new computer only has cd/ dvd drives.

How can I convert my floppy to a cd on somebody elses computer that does not have quickbooks? I'm guessing it can be done. Can Kinko's do it if I have to take it there?

Please help, invoicing is only a couple of days away!

2. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

If you still have access to the internet with the CP that has the floppy. Just email the file to yourself. If you can't use the old PC just take the files to a Library and email them from there. Back up the files on a PC to it's desk top...then attach those files to the Email..then have QB already installed on the new PC ...open the attachment and restore the files into QB.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Should be able to email them to yourself like suggested or just load up the files to a PC and open in a small window the CD from My Computer, drag drop in and then Write to CD. Whats the deal with the old PC? Can you reload Windows? Get a new hard disk and start over? They also make external drives you can buy at Frys Electronics or similar outlet. I would suggest throwing LInux on the old PC and going with online QB. No more viruses, spyware or crashing.

4. Branchland

Thanks ya'll. I'll give it a try. Should have thought of that myself.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>

Great idea leadarrows. I bet that does it. If the file is too big, you can always try your local library or kinko's or a friend in the area.

<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Could also take the old floppy drive (if still good) and simply install it on the new pc. I keep some old floppy drives handy for things such as this :)

-Geoff

7. Branchland

I was able to just copy the files to a cd using somebody elses computer. The problem now is on my new computer. I installed quickbooks. It's the pro 2001 version. When I go to install my already exsisting company a window pops up saying that I can't install it because I'm trying to install a new version than what is on my computer. They are both the same version. I guess I'm going to have to re-enter everything. Luckily I keep a paper file just for this reason. But I do hate having to reload everything.

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Apparently htere is a built in Import feature but I found articles that say it doesn't work right. Maybe something like this product might help you? http://www.netbusinessdot.com/QB/
    Be glad QB is available, in the Linux world there still isn't a clear competitor yet.

9. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

Just keep track of your business on toilet paper. When your customers cancel, just wipe your ass with them and flush them

10. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A